My certs have arrived!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My certs have arrived!

Last week I was looking to find more info re John Philip Windsor PEEL. This is info form the wedding cert to Christiana SMITH

16th Sept 1874 in the Parish Church, Leeds after banns

John Philip Windsor PEEL age 24 bachelor, occupation - bank cashier address - Caledonian Street (I assume Leeds) father - Issac PEEL - corn merchant

Christiana SMITH age 25 spinster address Belle Vue Road (again I assume Leeds) father - William Smith - cabinet maker

Witnesses William Smith and James Smith ( I think likely to be Christiana's father and brother.

The info about John being a bank cashier ties in with a copy of a booklet from my cousin with an address for John at Midland Bank in Stourbridge, but I don't know if that was before or after he married.

I thought that would make life easier, but does it heck

I've spent all morning trawling BMD indexes, census returns, directories and I STILL cannot find any trace of either John OR now an Isaac.

Can anybody else help?
    Pauline
    xx
    OPC Lanlivery, Lanivet & Newquay
    www.mumsiep.tribalpages.com

There's a family in 1861 in Snarford Lincolnshire. Dad Isaac Peel is a Corn Merch & Farmer, son John aged 9. If John told a little white lie about his age when he married because he was younger than the bride this could well be him.

Update family still in Lincolnshire in 1871. Do you have John on later census does he give birthplace?

Update on the update - in 1871 John is a banker's clerk :-)
    Last edited by JudithM; 18-07-08, 12:26.
    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Judith

You could be on to something there. I haven't located John on any census at all. That looks to be something worth following up.
      Pauline
      xx

Comment

On the following census, John, who is still at home is a bankers clerk!

Comment

Thanks Merry. Can anybody find him after 1871?

In 1881 - RG11; Piece: 4534; Folio: 104; Page: 5, wife Christiana is in Leeds as a Furnished Appartments Lodging House Keeper.

In 1891 - RG12; Piece: 3703; Folio 111; Page 14, Christiana still on Caledonian Road in Leeds with her 3 children, but interestingly dowm as "living on her own means", but married, not widowed.

She died in Leeds 1895.

By 1901, 2 of her 3 children are married, and youngest daughter Emma is living with her uncle James Smith.

John Philip Windsor PEEL - where are you after 1871 apart from getting married in Leeds in 1874 :(:(
          Pauline
          xx

Comment

Working...
          X