Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1841 and 1861 census on familysearch

Just seen over on GR:

"Just picked up that the familysearch website has a notice of intention to make available the 1841 and 1861 census from 1pm MDT today".

Oooh!!

What's MDT? Tomorrow for us???

Comment

Well Ive just been on there and they have poshed it all up but it doesent seem to be working properly?
      When I click on a result I just get a white page and done!! They must be twiddling..

]

Comment

MDT is mountain daylight time - 7 hours behind British summer time.
        (so 1 pm for them means 8 pm for you Merry )
        Last edited by Cloggie; 18-07-08, 11:30.
        Sarah

Comment

Originally posted by Cloggie View Post
          MDT is mountain daylight time - 7 hours behind British summer time.
          (so 1 pm for them means 8 pm for you Merry )
          *sets alarm clock for this evening*

*expects Family Search to close down at 8.01pm BST*

Comment

LOL Merry! :D
            Sarah

Comment

Well, I don't suppose my missing 1861 people will turn up as they are most likely in the bits that haven't survived, but if the 1841 has a facility to look for two names in the same household it should be good.
              KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
              (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Sees visions of Merry sat on a mountain with alarm clock..:D

]

Comment

Just found this on the family search site:

YOU CAN HELP by volunteering to index one of the current U.S. census projects or the upcoming England and Wales census projects. Find out more: U.S. Census / U.K. Census

The England/Wales Censuses are certainly some of the most important collections of British genealogical records. They are the starting place for British genealogical research. These records are unique in that they put family groups together, and give the exact birthplace of individuals. FamilySearch.org and findmypast.com have joined together to create and expand indexes for these value records. All of the England/Wales censuses from 1841 to 1901 will be impacted by this work. Family history researchers, and others interested in connecting families, will find this collection of records to be a priceless treasure.

Some of the enhancements you can expect to see include:

New digitized images for the censuses will be published from master microfilm copies of the original England/Wales censuses.
                  New fields will be added enabling patrons to more accurately find information.
                  Indexes and images will be published incrementally as they are created so that patrons will have quicker access to information.

*wonders what exactly is coming online today?*
                  Sarah

Comment

I can't see where the person on GR got the information from, though, can you?
                    KiteRunner

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
                      I can't see where the person on GR got the information from, though, can you?
                      Kate - it is on the new pilot search site, not the old FamilySearch site
                      FamilySearch Record Search Maintenance - The System is Currently Down for Maintenance
                      Elaine

Comment

Oh, right, thanks Elaine.
                        KiteRunner

Comment

It says here under the search box on the old site

See new prototype for searching millions of new records

]

Comment

I see it says "British Census". I wonder what are the chances of it including Scotland?!
                            KiteRunner

Comment

but if the 1841 has a facility to look for two names in the same household it should be good.
                              Can't you do that on FindMyPast?

I would like an 1841 census with occupation search. :(

Comment

I would like an 1841 census with relationships given, but that's never going to happen. :(
                                Elizabeth
                                Research Interests:
                                England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
                                Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
                                  Can't you do that on FindMyPast?
                                  Yes, but you have to pay to view the entry on FMP - presumably the FamilySearch one will be free!
                                  KiteRunner

Comment

Yes, but you have to pay to view the entry on FMP - presumably the FamilySearch one will be free!
                                    Lets hope so!

I do the lookup on FMP and then transfer the search results to Ancestry!

Comment

I doubt very much if they will have Scottish census IMAGES, as even Ancestry can't buy them, so doubt if they would give them free of charge to the LDS!

(Still, even just some different transcriptions might be nice!)

OC

Comment

Don't think so Kate. Just done a search for 1841 census and you are referred to a "parner site" to view the image ...... and the partner site is ....... FMP!
                                        Elaine

Comment

Working...
                                        X