Help needed to find William Routledge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help needed to find William Routledge

I would appreciate some help in findi8ng William Routledge in the 1851 census as I don't have any subscription to find him myself. He should be around 73yrs and living in London, possibly born somewhere in Cumberland and maybe a Tailor. I have found him in the 1841 census with his family at and believe his wife, Margaret, had died before 1851. Any details of him, his address and other family members, particularly his son, Augustus, living with him etc would be very much welcomed.
    Many thanks in advance.

Merleyone

Can you give the reference or details of the 1841 census that you found.
    Elaine

Comment

Found this one in 1851

William Routledge 73 b c1778 St Mary Middx - occ Tailor
      William Routledge 32 b c1819 St James Middx - occ Tailor
      James Routledge 30 b c1821 St james Whitehpen Middx - occ French Polisher
      Augusta Routledge 23 b c1828 St James Whitehpen Middx - occ Smith

address: 4 Blenheim Street, St George, Hanover Square, Westminster

HO107; Piece: 1475; Folio: 52; Page: 20

Is this the right family?
      Elaine

Comment

I found this..

1851c, HO107; Piece: 1508; Folio: 121; Page: 13;

Augustus Routledge age 28
        Estimated Birth Year: abt 1823
        Head...spouse Elizabeth.
        born Whitehaven, Cumberland, England
        Living St Giles in The Fields Middlesex

Augustus Routledge head age 28..Smith at piano forte manufacturers
        Elizabeth Routledge spouse age 23 born Surrey

]

Comment

Elaine-Spain,

I'm amazed at the very speed of responses here and yes, thanks very much, I think this must be the same family. I found the family in 1841 at Blenheim Street, St George Hanover Sq. William 65yrs, Tailor, not born in county. Margaret 55, born in county, James 20 French Polisher not born in county, Augustus 15 Percussion Cap Maker, not born in county. No sign then of a William b c1819 or Augusta b c 1828, although I did know of a son William but not of Augusta. More to look for now.

As James and Augustus show their birthplace as Whitehaven, Cumberland in later censuses, I believe that James George, son of William Routledge and Margaret, baptised at St James, Whitehaven on 23/7/1820 with a brother, William Hunter Routledge are the first two sons in this family, as you have found in the 1851 census, and their parents William R and Margaret are probably the William Routledge and Margaret Hunter who married at St James, Westminster on 20/4/1818. Margaret Hunter Routledge died Dec 1845, St George Hanover Sq.
          I have not yet found any baptism or marriage for Augustus but will continue looking for those events.

many thanks again.

Northern Light

many thanks also for your swift response and this is the Augustus Routledge I mentioned. He seems to have had a different occupation in each census and 1851 is therefore par for the course. Elizabeth seems to have aged flexibly over the years in successive censuses but consiently showed her birthpalce as Lambeth.

many thanks again,

Merleyone

Comment

Working...
          X