Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BMD Registers search problem

BMD Registers: The Official Non-Parochial BMDs Service

I'm sure that if you ticked the "search all names" box, it used to come up with births / baptisms where that name was given as a grandparent's name as well as the ones where it matched the name of the child or the parent. But now when I enter grandparents' names which I know are on at least one entry, it's coming up with "no matches so we searched for" (beginning of name plus wildcard) instead. I really hate sites that decide to change my search criteria without asking anyway, but apart from that, can anybody else get a grandparent's name to come up on the search?
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

I can only get maternal grand parents to come up. Which isn't a lot of help really!

Example search - Richard Wright, then 4 pages in there's a James Jones 1781 London with Richard Wright maternal g'pa.
    Sue

Comment

Yes, it was maternal grandparents I was looking for, Sue, thanks. On the Dr Williams Library entries it states maternal grandparents only. Maybe the one I was trying to find was mis-indexed somehow, but I'm sure I've seen it come up on a search before, so I'm confused!
      KiteRunner

Comment

Might it be a temporary glitch? I remember last time you posted something similar a couple of months ago, the situation was rectified the following day (or similar) - but there was no mention on the site of the search being partially disabled.

Comment

Could be. They'll probably fix it just when my kids get home from school and the holidays start!
          KiteRunner

Comment

I only got that search up 'cos I knew from one I printed off earlier who the grand parent was, if you were searching for the child's name it wouldn't bring the grandfathers name up, would it unless the child was illegitimate, maybe.
            Sue

Comment

No, but I was trying to find any grandchildren of a certain person in case there were some I didn't know about. If you already know the child's name then you can view the record to see who else is named in it.
              KiteRunner

Comment

I think I must have misunderstood your original post:o

Have they added some more records lately? You've got me looking now (I should be vacuuming!) and I've found some baptisms in the United Brethren (Moravian) Church in Fetter Lane that I swear blind were not on there before:D

Now to try and prove that Christian Ludwig Benzien b 1753 was related to Christian Benzing b abt 1780!
                Sue

Comment

I think they've added some burials too.
                  KiteRunner

Comment

Originally posted by Sue from Southend View Post
                    Now to try and prove that Christian Ludwig Benzien b 1753 was related to Christian Benzing b abt 1780!
                    Well that didn't take long! Christian Ludwig Benzing was taken to America in 1754 where his family were amongst the founding fathers of the Moravian Church there. I rather doubt that his son would return to Whitechapel as a Clockmaker. But I'll keep the records just in case....

Back to the drawing board:(
                    Sue

Comment

Working...
                    X