Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Annuitant?

Can somebody please help me with this?

Annuitant - Receiver of an Annuity - An annuity is income paid to a beneficiary at regular intervals, for a fixed period or ascertainable period (usually the lifetime of a nominee) in return for a lump sum payment having been previously made into the scheme by a subscriber - i.e. a spouse, benefactor or employer.

So i found this under one of my rellie's occupation.

Does this mean that her husband left her a lot of money? she was a widow.

Danny
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=528974734

Not necessarily a lot of money, but it does suggest there was a will.

Men would probably get the money outright, women couldn't be trusted not to blow it all on a new frock (or boyfriend) to they got it doled out.:(
    Phoenix - with charred feathers
    Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Danny.....the woman could have had money in her own right.

In my tree a lot of the women were annuitants...they had shares left by their fathers.

Comment

Pheonix

Sounds like they met a lot of woman like my OH:D

Libby

If i can find her with her husband then i might be able to find if he left a will?
        Sounds like a plan.

Danny

Comment

Right i found her husband and he was Overlooker in a Cotton Factory.

And he died between 1871 and 1881 in Wigan im betting.

Danny

Comment

Maybe he had some shares in the factory, or his wife was given some after he died.

Comment

There is also the possibility she could have been awarded the annuity by a third party or stranger.
              It was not unknown for rewards for finding items were offered as annuities for anything up to 99 years.
              Cheers
              Guy
              Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

It can also refer to a person receiving an annual allowance.
                Quoted from 'Making sense of the census revisited' by Edward Higgs
                Phil
                historyhouse.co.uk
                Essex - family and local history.

Comment

Well I didn't know that! Thanks Guy

Comment

In the days before state pensions, or even employer pensions, the careful person saved up and bought an annuity, which worked like a pension, but paid once a year.

An annuity doesn't mean the person was rich, just means they had careful forethought for their old age.

As Phoenix says, they were more popular for woman, bought for them either by their husbands or another male relative.

They usually provided a mere pittance of an income, just enough to stand between the receiver and the workhouse.

"Living on own means" could also cover an annuity, but I always fondly imagine it means "I've got more money coming in than someone on an annuity".

An annuity wouldn't necessarily be mentioned in someone's will, as it was an outright gift which did not belong to the giver.

OC

Comment

Thankyou OC

A mine of information as usual

Danny

Comment

Annuities were often a way of employers rewarding their employees, ie a rich family might take out an annuity for a retired governess.
                        ~ with love from Little Nell~
                        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Nell

My great grandfather bought annuities for the unmarried sisters of his wife, and for the unmarried sister of his son's wife.

OC

Comment

It's possible that it was from her husband's employer when he died they looked after his widow with a weekly amount.

I apply and review quite a few annuities and they come from charitable organisations and previous employers welfare funds.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Working...
                            X