Help please looking for info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help please looking for info

apologies if I've already asked for help with this.

on John McKenzie born Westmoreland c 1821 variously Kendal, Appleby and Standish
    and Hannah Brown born Berwick c1825

On the LDS I have found a birth for an Anna Stevens Brown chr 6/5/1825 at the Catholic Church in Berwick, Northumberland daughter of William and Margaret (Newton) which I'm hoping is the right one.

If correct she had siblings Mary Anne chr 1827, William chr 1830, Thomas chr 1832, David chr 1835 and Margaret Jane chr 1837.

I haven't been able to find the marriage of John and Anna/Hannah - a possible in 1840 in Berwick was rejected today by GRO as being wrong bride

but on the LDS they have a daughter Margaret b 25/11/1845. GRO certificate today confirms she was born at Walkergate Lane in Berwick and her father John, a labourer and mother Hannah not Anna.

In 1851 census John and Hannah McKursey subsequently McKenzie are living in Sunderland with daughters Margret 5 and Cathrine 2. Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece: 2397; Folio: 224; Page: 18; GSU roll: 87075. mistranscribed as Applby, Northumberland instead of Westmoreland.

I believe I found Hannah's parents William and Margaret and younger siblings in 1841 census - Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece 844; Book: 2; Civil Parish: Berwick Upon Tweed; County: Northumberland; Enumeration District: 5; Folio: 34; Page: 14; Line: 2; GSU roll: 438897.

Can anyone find John and Hannah on the 1841 census - have them both after that - would possibly help pinpoint marriage.

Thanks
    Last edited by JBee; 18-07-08, 08:55.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

If Hannah was born in Berwick, it would be very easy to slip over the border into Scotland. Have you looked at all at Scottish records for 1841 census and the marriage?
    Phoenix - with charred feathers
    Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Yes Phoenix

I have looked at the Scottish OPR's and there is a marriage in 1844 between John McKenzie and Anna Brown in Greenock West.

However in the 1841 Scottish Census have found an Anna Brown with her family also in Greenock West.

In 1851 there is a John McKenzie with wife Agnes and daughter Ann in Greenock. Source Citation: Parish: Greenock Middle; ED: 44; Line: 9; Year: 1851.

Unfortunately there's rather a lot of John McKenzies but I believe they would have married in a catholic church if at all possible especially as she was chr in the one at Berwick.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Working...
      X