Thanks to your help I have now found my Grandmother

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks to your help I have now found my Grandmother

Yes, it's that Mabel Webb you helped me with the other day. What confused me was that there is a Mabel on the 1901 census being born 1893 - 3 years out - but I found on the Thornbury PR online a Mabel being born the right year to the same family. Not sure what happened, will try and find a death of a Mabel from earlier. Or maybe it was just written down wrong.

Many thanks for the help, you have made my day. Just wish I could tell my mum about her mum.

It's really strange though that I ended up in the same small town that my Grandmother was born in (I'd never heard of it until I was in my 20's)which is the opposite side of the country from where I, and the rest of my family, was born.

Thanks again everyone - I'm like a dog with two tails at the minute:D:D

I am confused!!

The only bap I can find is dated 3 Jan 1897??? (parents Henry and Harriet)

Comment

She was bap the same date as her younger sister, Elsie.

Comment

Merry, that's the one. The 1901 census states Mabel is 8. I'm guessing that either should read as a 5 or 6, or there was a previous Mabel who died (still searching for that one)

Comment

I think you will find she just wasn't a baby when she was baptised! She was bap the same day as Elsie who was younger, but I notice Edith who was 2 in 1901 still hadn't made it to the font!! lol

Comment

I'm sure she got dunked at some stage:D

Comment

I read that as, "I'm sure she got drunk at some stage"!! lol :D

Comment

Well, I still have to send for the birth cert, but if she was my family for sure then 'drunk' would probably be right:D

Comment

Trish,

is this the "lot" we were looking at last week? (my memory is terrible at the moment, )

thornbury rings a bell mind you.. wasnt there a chap that died in that dist?

:o
                  Julie
                  They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

That's right Julie, this lot is the only family with a Mabel of close to the right age and with the right father, in the right area. She was bpt 1897 (which is the year she stated as being born - *wonder if she has taken baptism date for birth date or she was just fibbing about age*). No other family comes near to linking any facts I have.
                    I did wonder about a Minchinhampton Mabel but worked out the mother was never married to a Henry (the father named on the wedding cert)

Comment

well, re taking a date of bapt as a DOB... why not, praps sometimes thats all the parents could remember.

Glad that things are slowly unravelling and yes it would be nice to share the info with our mums, but I'm sure that they are "knowing" what has happened, even if they aren't here physically anymore.

I know my mum would be tickled pink if she could see the stuff I have found out and uncovered
                      Julie
                      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Party time when there's proof positive:D

Comment

Trish, could you get some of the marriage certificates of Mabel's siblings from after the date your Mabel married and hope that Mabel was one of the witnesses?

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

Hi Tom, not sure that would help. She might be on a cert as a witness but it wouldn't give any details apart from the usual bride and groom stuff(I'm penny pinching here I know). Unless your thoughts are on something different of course - sorry my brain has only been working at 75% all day

Comment

Well, if one of the witnesses was Mabel (whatever her married surname was) then you would know it was the correct family.

If it was Mabel Bloggs or something along those lines then it would give you something to look in to.
                              It is a long shot I know as they could have had anyone as their witnesses.

Do the witnesses at her wedding give any clues?

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

Thanks Tom, now everyone knows the state of my brain!!!!
                                Yes, brilliant - off to do more searches, thank you

Comment

Working...
                                X