1891 Census trying to find White family in Portsmouth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1891 Census trying to find White family in Portsmouth

Here is a challenge..............can you find in the 1891 Census the White family from Portsmouth, Hampshire ? Would be super great if you could..........

I have them via Ancestry in the 1901 Census (31 Duncan Street, Portsmouth) :-

George White b abt 1859 (father)
    Alice White b abt 1868 (mother)
    George (William) White b abt 1888 (son) *he's my Great Grandfather !
    Jessie (Mary) White b abt 1889 (daughter)
    Clara (Mollie) White b abt 1894 (daughter)

All born in Portsmouth.

showing with in 1901.........
    Alexander Henderson (boarder)
    William White (brother of 1859 George White)

I've looked and cannot find the family in the 1891 Census - I might have missed something, or maybe a mistranscription !

Would be much appreciated if people could have a look and see if they have success................

Thanks

Simon

Had a quick look Simon. Not found them, will have another look.
    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

I've found some on them on FindMyPast:

Address: 129, Kingston Road, Portsea, Portsmouth
      WHITE, Alice Wife Married F 23 1868 Corset Maker Portsmouth
      WHITE, George Son M 3 1888 Portsmouth
      WHITE, Jessie Daughter F 2 1889 Portsmouth

RG12 857 12 17
      Last edited by Elizabeth Herts; 17-07-08, 12:49.
      Elizabeth
      Research Interests:
      England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
      Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

I've found George in Warrington:

Orford Barracks, Warrington

WHITE, George Head Married M 32 1859 Sergeant Permanent Staff Infantry
        Portsmouth
        RG12 3080 111 6
        Elizabeth
        Research Interests:
        England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
        Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Rg12/857/12/17 - snap Elizabeth

transcribed as Redman on Ancestry! :(

Now come on Simon - why didn't you think of that in the first place! :D:D
          Last edited by Elaine ..Spain; 17-07-08, 12:49.
          Elaine

Comment

Elaine, If Ancestry fails, try FindMyPast!
            Elizabeth
            Research Interests:

Comment

I've tried that ref but I can't get any of them to come up. Loads of Whites but not that one.
              Wendy

Comment

Originally posted by Elizabeth Herts View Post
                Elaine, If Ancestry fails, try FindMyPast!
                Definitely!
                Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by WendyPusey View Post
                  I've tried that ref but I can't get any of them to come up. Loads of Whites but not that one.
                  Transcribed as Redman!
                  Last edited by Elaine ..Spain; 17-07-08, 13:00. Reason: name spelt wrongly
                  Elaine

Comment

Still can't get it to come up!!! I've used the ref and the name but nothing comes up on Ancestry
                    Wendy

Comment

Sorry my fault - its Redman not Readman

Just put the reference in Wendy - you should then see
                      Alice Redman b1868
                      Jessie Redman b1889
                      George Redman b1888
                      Elaine

Comment

Wendy, I went onto Ancestry (I was using FMP) and just entered the reference and came up with the correct page, with James Redman at the top, I think, and Alice and children a little further down. Check the address - it should say Kingston Road.
                        Elizabeth
                        Research Interests:

Comment

Good work everyone !

I only have Ancestry.

George White (b. abt 1859) in 1901 was listed as a Ships Stoker in Royal Navy.

But, I'm not so sure that George White in Orford Barracks is mine........

It's from these 3 youngsters that my Family Reunion is based on.

Please do keep looking - much appreciated indeed.

For info - the wife's maiden name was Offord. But it's this 1891 Census I'm keen on.

Comment

I tried Readman as Elaine had put! Got it now. But George, the father, isn't there.
                            Wendy

Comment

Originally posted by WendyPusey View Post
                              I tried Readman as Elaine had put! Got it now. But George, the father, isn't there.
                              Is Alice listed as Head of the 1891 family ?

Maybe George was at sea ?

Comment

If George was in the RN then it's possible he was at sea in 1891.
                                Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Simon in Bucks View Post
                                  Is Alice listed as Head of the 1891 family ?
                                  Alice is recorded as Wife - occ Dress corset maker - but there is no head of household given.
                                  Just her in the household with the two children - but you can see that yourself on Ancestry! ;)
                                  Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                                    Alice is recorded as Wife - occ Dress corset maker - but there is no head of household given.
                                    Just her in the household with the two children - but you can see that yourself on Ancestry! ;)
                                    Not when I'm up here in wet Scotland during my lunch ! ;) :p

Tonight when I get home I can have a look..................

Good info - thanks loads.

I have got the Census list printouts next to me here.........had to bring them with me as I'm soooooooo behind on my research. The 1891 missing list was one I really wanted when I saw it was missing from the stapled sheets last night.

Comment

Sorry, Simon - on closer scrutiny that George White appears to have a family with him.:(
                                      Elizabeth
                                      Research Interests:

Comment

Originally posted by Simon in Bucks View Post
                                        Not when I'm up here in wet Scotland during my lunch ! ;) :p
                                        Forgot you disappeared during the week!
                                        Very inconsiderate of your employers if Ancestry access is blocked whilst you are up there! :(
                                        Elaine

Comment

Working...
                                        X