Emigration to United States

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emigration to United States

Sarah Weaver married Francis Peter Kitwood. He died in 1909 and she decided to emigrate to the US.

According to FMP she travelled to Boston in 1911 with her children Norman aged 7 and Dorothea aged 4. Her elder daughter Emily Edith also travelled in 1911 but seems to have ended up in New York and appears on the Ellis Island website aged 8 apparently having tavelled alone??

So my question is would they have been travelling on the same boat which then went on to Boston having left Emily behind in New York or did they travel seperately or are the Ellis Island records incomplete? What do you think???

Fortunately Emily appears on the 1920 US census in Hampden, Massachusetts, as do Sarah, Norman and Dorothea (then as Citwood)

Any ideas

emily kitwood

just looked on ellis Island site, Emily preceded her mother to the states, Emily was sent to an Aunt in Springfield US, her mother paid her passage and was living in Chantrey Street in Liverpool at that time, what a terrible journey for a child of that age to make alone, her mother would have travelled later with the other children. I was sent to ireland as a child and had to travel alone on the night train to Holyhead from manchester and then catch the boat to Dublin then the train down to tralee, I set off at 9.00pm and got there next day at 6.00pm, would anyone do this now? I enjoyed the adventure and it was worth the journey to arrive in such a lovely place after the slums of manchester Lindyloo
    Linda

Comment

ooo Linda that sounds scary

Comment

Hi Jane,
        I was looking up my great grandmother, Emily Kitwood, online and your blog came up as one of the search results. I became very interested as to how you are related to the Kitwood family. I joined the website and hope you hear back from you! My grandfather, John, was one of the 19 kids that emily kitwood and roger sevigne had.
        -Emily Sevigne
        named after my great grandmother

Comment

Welcome to FTF, Emily.

This is quite an old thread. If you don't get a response here, it might be worth sending a PM. (You'd have to click on the person's name on the left, and then choose the email option.)

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for the tip! will do!

Comment

Working...
            X