Surely this is her?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surely this is her?

I have Amelia Nisbet born c1797 Marylebone (1851) and there is a baptism for an Amelia Nisbet 16th April 1794 St James Westminster.

It seems very likely to me but I'd like someone else to tell me it seems very likely - or not.
    Asa

I'd say that it's a good working hypothesis.

Even if it were exact, you'd need some other proof for certainty, but it does look likely, given how flexible people were about ages.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thank you Christine:-) I've had the info for ages but can't yet find anything else to support it...
      Asa

Comment

Amelia is a popular name of the period. I have THREE Milly Hedgers (bp variously as Millicent and Amelia) in a five year span 1780s - 1790s. All related.

It is possible that you have found the right baptism, but if you don't know who her parents were, then you cannot be sure. In anywhere as crowded as London, you cannot be certain that the baptism actually took place, or if it did that the record survived, or if it survived that it is online. There will be far fewer places of worship in the 1700s than in the victorian period, but even so there are quite a few to consider.
        Phoenix - with charred feathers
        Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

I would be wary of assuming it is the right one until you get some proof, especially with the year and the place being different from what you were looking for.
          KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
          (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

St James Westminster is the church in Piccadilly. It's walking distance from Marylebone but they aren't exactly next door.
            ~ with love from Little Nell~
            Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Um

I know this is a personal submission but

Amelia NISBET (AFN: 2345-JXW)
              Birth: 1797 <St.pancras, London England>
              Death: 20 May 1862
              Islington, London England
              Marriage(s)
              Spouse: George BATHIE (AFN: 2345-JWP)
              Marriage: 12 Nov 1815 St.pancras, London England

from FamilySearch.org - Family History and Genealogy Records

Comment

So there are probably at least 2!

Comment

Thanks everyone:-)

I've never included her in my tree because I've no evidence but I thought I'd see what other people think. I've lost the witnesses to her marriage so I need to go back and have another look for them and see if I can tie them in anywhere.

Nell, that is my Amelia. The researcher has no right to claim she was born in Pancras:-) I can only find one other Amelia, born in 1800 and married in 1820. Marylebone is in Westminster but why would she not have been baptised at St Marylebone? Mind you, I have just found the baptism of a grandmother who was born in Pentonville opposite St Silas and christened at St James Clerkenwell, bypassing several churches. They don't make much sense do they:-)
                  Asa

Comment

No, they just do it to keep us on our toes!

Comment

Working...
                    X