Very odd... married but always apart?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very odd... married but always apart?

Elizabeth Arnold was born in Windsor in 1842. Daughter of Edward and Ann Arnold.

She married Henry Louis Armstrong on the 31 July 1869 in St Ann, Soho, Westminster. (info from the IGI).

I have found Elizabeth here in 1871 with no husband, but does say she is married: Source Citation: Class: RG10; Piece: 150; Folio: 21; Page: 36

This is the most possible I can see for Henry in 1871, but it says he is not married: Source Citation: Class: RG10; Piece: 1401; Folio: 94; Page: 65

Here is Elizabeth in 1881, living with her sister and sister's illegitimate son: Source Citation: Class: RG11; Piece: 126; Folio: 29; Page: 52
    Again, Elizabeth says she is married but there is no sign of any husband with her.

Any ideas? I cannot see a death for a Henry Louis Armstrong and I cannot see a likely death for Elizabeth or on any other census.

Thanks for looking.

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

If this is him....

Births Mar 1846
    ARMSTRONG Henry Lewis Holborn 2 153
    ARMSTRONG Henry Lewis Holborn 2 155

(haven't checked the page number yet!)

then could this be him? Age slightly out...

Deaths Dec 1904
    ARMSTRONG Henry Louis 56 London C. 1c 18

Comment

Do you know what his occupation was, Tom? Could he have been a sailor away at sea?
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Merry and Kate

If he is the one I think he is, the he was born in India in c1839 and was a Captain in the Royal Artillery, but I would have thought that she would have said "Wife of Captain in the Royal Artilery" on the census, and not machinist.

I know I would need the actual marriage to confirm which one he was, but cannot bring myself to pay £7 for it, when I know the date and place of it. Think I might e-mail Westminster archives and ask for a transcript (I know they did one once before).

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Tom View Post
          Merry and Kate

If he is the one I think he is, the he was born in India in c1839
          How do you know that?

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
            How do you know that?
            Because he is the one I found in 1871 that was a Henry L Armstrong and he was living in Buckinghamshire which is where her family were all from.

But, as you see in my last post (think we x posted lol) I know I will have to get the cert.

Comment

Tom - it always seems odd when a family is not together on the census but don't forget you are only looking at one night in ten years!!!

Anne

Comment

A couple in my family were apart on each census bar the most recent when they were older and he was no longer going out to work. He had been a stone mason and had moved around the country for his job.
                Joy

Comment

Sometimes there's a good reason, like husband's job, or the wife is staying with her mother to show off her new baby.

Sometimes its a bad reason, like Jacob Isenschmidt, living separately from his wife as he had gone insane and threatened to kill her. In 1888 he was arrested as a suspect in the Jack the Ripper murders, but despite spending time in prison and then a lunatic asylum he is living in lodgings in south London in 1891 whilst his wife and children are north of the river.

Sometimes there's no obvious reason. Husband's gt gt grandmother Priscilla Robins is wife in 1851 and 1861, and widow in 1871. Her husband James is on baptism register for their children, and in insurance documents. But he isn't on the 51 or 61 census and doesn't appear to have died. As luck would have it, the entire family are missing in 1841 except for their 2 eldest daughters who are staying with relatives.
                  ~ with love from Little Nell~
                  Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I don't know if there's any significance in the fact there's also a Henry Louis baptised at the same church:

1. HENRY LOUIS ARMSTRONG - International Genealogical Index / BI
                    Gender: Male Christening: 18 AUG 1850 Saint Mary Soho, Westminster, London, England

His parents are James and Susannah, but that isn't helping! lol

Comment

And there's a James and Susannah in St Ann's Soho in 1851, but they don't have a Henry with them :( James is a journeyman tailor.

But I can't make anything join up!
                      Last edited by Merry Monty Montgomery; 16-07-08, 20:33.

Comment

This is probably the son of James and Susannah:

HO107; Piece: 1509; Folio: 460; Page: 27

he is a nephew in the household. if he were your lady's husband then her occ of machinist would fit as they all have sewing occupations.

Comment

Unfortunately I cant find this family in 1861, but I've just noticed Henry was baptised the same day as some of the other children in the same family (Louisa and Samuel are two I remember, but there was at least one more), so I'm sure he is their sibling. (not that this makes him "yours", I realise!)
                          Last edited by Merry Monty Montgomery; 16-07-08, 21:32.

Comment

I am suspicious of this 1881 family. Thomas Armstrong is a french Polisher and his B-in-L is a tailor. I can't find a marriage for a Henry Armstrong to an Eliza Gow. So are this couple not married, and if not, why not??! lol

RG11; Piece: 278; Folio: 25; Page: 5

(I have checked Eliza and William Gow exist as bro and sister in 1871)

Comment

Hi Merry, thanks for all your investigations. I've just got back from badminton but I think that the one born in India could be mine as Elizabeth's family were quite "big" in the army. I will send the Westminster archives an e-mail and see if they can give me a transcript.

I saw that one in 1850 as well, but thought that 8 years younger than his bride was something to be suspicious of. Having said that I have much bigger age gaps in other branches of my tree.

Comment

Eliza Gow seems to have died in 1887 (as Armstrong). In 1891 Henry is a widower. By 1901 he is married to Sarah (and has the middle initial L!) but I can't find a marriage again. Of course I can't be so certain this time, as I don't know Sarah's maiden surname!

Comment

I saw that one in 1850 as well, but thought that 8 years younger than his bride was something to be suspicious of.
                                  Yes, but he was born in 1846, not 1850, so a smaller gap.

The frustration is not being able to find the french polisher in 1871 as this would probably make of break him!! There are several H As in jail but none of them have his occ!

Comment

Capt H L Armstrong of the RA was promoted to major in 1874 and was transfered from Kamptee to Bangalore in 1874. I can't find a ref to him after this yet.

Comment

Thanks Merry, I have emailed the archives so hopefully I will have a reply soon.

Comment

Working...
                                      X