Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Death Certificate received - now to find the inquest report

I have edited this for privacy.
    Last edited by Elizabeth Herts; 21-07-08, 12:14.
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

If they don't have the inquest report you can look in the newspaper. Such a horrible accident would be sure to be reported and now you have the exact date of the death and the inquest it would be an easy search for someone.

The newspaper reports were usually exactly what was said at the inquest - the reporter would have gone to it. Plus you might get some other comments as well.

Anne

Comment

Thanks, Anne. It has crossed my mind that I should find it in the papers. I did search on-line papers for England, but that was before I knew that she was resident in Ireland.
      Elizabeth
      Research Interests:
      England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
      Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

The most likely paper would be the one local to Holyhead. You are unlikely to find it online. I would try finding the County Record Office or local library and emailing them. They would probably find it and photocopy it for a small charge

Anne

Comment

I think I've found a newspaper report - have sent you a PM.
          Sarah

Comment

OOh, Sarah - I've pmd you back! Thanks.
            Elizabeth
            Research Interests:

Comment

Many thanks to Sarah (Cloggie).

Poor Emily dropped her handbag when walking along the plank, and tried to recover it. She fell between the ship and the pier.
              Elizabeth
              Research Interests:

Comment

Now if only they'd had cross-the-body bags in those days...

What a horrible accident. And only a few weeks back, Merry found my husband's James Anthony Higho (mistranscribed in death index as Hio) had drowned whilst bathing on a pleasure trip at Sheerness.
                ~ with love from Little Nell~
                Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Nell, I don't think they were very hot on Health & Safety in those days. We are so "risk-aware" (horrible jargon) these days that I'm surprised we do anything!
                  Last edited by Elizabeth Herts; 21-07-08, 12:15.
                  Elizabeth
                  Research Interests:

Comment

But of course in those days, authorities weren't scared about being sued for negligence either, there wasn't a compensation culture.

"Has your relative been injured or drowned in an accident at sea? Has she lost or mislaid her reticule? Call Claims R Us for free, friendly advice".
                    ~ with love from Little Nell~
                    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Good grief, the family would have made a fortune out of it!

Poor old dear, what a horrible way to die. I just wish we had at least one photo of her. (OH's family not hoarders like mine!)
                      Elizabeth
                      Research Interests:

Comment

Working...
                      X