Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• finding an address in the 1901 census

Hello -

I know I've seen the answer to this here but cannot find it in the Wiki (truth be known I'm no good at wikish - think I just don't get it):o
    Any help appreciated

Thanks

The easy way it to pay a sub for FindMyPast, but otherwise there are ways of reducing the Ancestry trawl by playing with the FindMyPast initial search results. Or you can use the Historical Directories site to find people living in the street at the right time and look them up instead and then work along the road!

I would offer to help, but kids will be in from school in a sec.

Comment

Cool - will play with this and let you know
      Thanks Merry

Comment

Or try Googling> "Name of Road" 1901 census
        You may be lucky and find someone has referenced the census on their family history, etc.
        Phil
        historyhouse.co.uk
        Essex - family and local history.

Comment

If you find it in 1881, you could pick a surname from one of the images, try your luck with that on the next census and then repeat the process

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Findmypast has only transcribed the Somerset and Gloucestershire 1901 censuses.
            Best thing is to find it by an address search on FMP in the 1891 census and then try to find some matching names on the 1901 on Ancestry.
            Last edited by Elaine ..Spain; 16-07-08, 17:27.
            Elaine

Comment

Doh, I meant TNA not FindMyPast! lol

(I think I must be stressed! lol)

Comment

Merry - Followed your excellent instructions but my relatives uncooperative and weren't living where they should have been.
                hey ho the hunt goes on...............
                Thanks

Comment

And thanks everyone else for their input - my Liverpool Kitwoods are elusive, slippery as eels

Comment

Who are you looking for, Jane??

Comment

You can do an address search on 1901 Census of England and Wales Online. If you get promising results you'll have to buy credits to see the info.

Scuda
                      Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

oo Merry or anyone interested - any of them really

I had a post earlier about Peter Kitwood who was a naval captain who left his family after a row and went to the States and lived a single life preaching to seamen about morality, sobriety, values etc. in about 1856. Much stuff on Gale about his virtues.

Meanwhile, back at the proverbial ranch, his wife and four or possibly 5 children were fending for themselves.
                        Francis Peter b 1848 - 1909
                        Charles Frederick b 1850 - 1896
                        Phillis born 1848 or possibly 1851
                        - 1915(and then called Phillis Emily - am a bit muddled whether this was one or two seperate children) Mum claims to have had 5 children but I can only find 4 so this may or may not be an answer.
                        And Susan Annie who was my OH's g grandmother and was foolish enough to marry a Wilson.
                        As you can imagine the Kitwoods are light relief in amongst all the Wilsons!!

So I'm interested in the children of those listed above(apart from the Wilsons ) who seem to be quite elusive in 1901

Two grandchildren were in the Liverpool Blue Coat School - Leslie and Frank.

Otherwise the missing families in 1901 are
                        1.Francis Peter b 1848, his wife Sarah Augusta b. about 1865 + Phillis Emma 1898 - 1902

2. The family of Charles(as above d.1896) Ellen b.very ca.1850 and children Percy b, Phyllis Elizabeth b 1892, Frederick Herbert b.1894, Gertrude Emily b 1896.. Ellen Kitwood is listed in the historical directories as a confectioner in 1902 I think it was.
                        Sorry if this is a bit rambly but as you know it helps to write it down. Many thanks if anyone can help. With such relatively distinctive names they should be there but I just cannot find them. They should be around the Liverpool, Toxteth Park, West Derby sort of area.

Comment

Here's Francis, Sarah and Phillis:

RG13; Piece: 3405; Folio: 134; Page: 48

Comment

Ellen and her children:

RG13; Piece: 3431; Folio: 41; Page: 30

Comment

Re one or two Phillis's circa 1848-51. I can't really prove it, but it looks like one to me.....

One birth reg:

Births Mar 1851
                              Kitwood Phillis Emily Wirral 19 391

and as you say on the 1851 census she is listed as aged 3 years, but as she has a sibling also aged 3 years and born many counties away, plus she is listed after the one year old, I would say her age should read three months, not three!!

In 1861 she is aged 10, which fits with the birth reg.

Comment

and now for a really silly question - now you've given me the numbers for the census - how do you plot them in to find the page (i'm on ancestry)
                                annnnnnnd...... how did you do that ????????- I've been looking for eons.

Comment

Originally posted by norwayjane View Post
                                  and now for a really silly question - now you've given me the numbers for the census - how do you plot them in to find the page (i'm on ancestry)
                                  annnnnnnd...... how did you do that ????????- I've been looking for eons.
                                  Hi Jane
                                  Go to the 1901 census and put in Merry's ref .... like this

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Thanks Rachel - that option doesn't seem to be there on the new "fancier" version of the search page - I'll change back and see how I go
                                    Thanks again
                                    Jane
                                    ;)

Comment

Rachel :( How can you call yourself a computer dumbo, when you can do that????

*feels impressed*

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
                                        Rachel :( How can you call yourself a computer dumbo, when you can do that????

*feels impressed*
                                        Oh that ! :D t'was nothing of any consequence .. just a little screenshot ! :D

feeling smug because I didn't have to find the instructions

Comment

Working...
                                        X