Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can we have a brain storm please?

Or whatever the pc term is now - ??

GGFx3, Thomas Baizley - cant find his baptism.

Known facts:

Born c 1760 - taken from his burial at Chapel in Bermondsey:

Thomas Baizley on the 26th of September 1813 age 53 burial at the Independant Chapel, Southwark, address at death St Mary, Bermondsey.

Married: to Sophia Acton ("lower middle class" girl) from Deptford

So marriage,

Pallots Entry:

Name: Sophia Acton
    Spouse: Thos Beiyley
    Comment: sd Baiyley; 519
    Marriage Date: 1795
    Parish: Southwark

First child, Thomas, baptised in Deptford 10.5.1796 (went home to mum for first?)

All other kids baptised in Southwark 5 found between 1800 - 1813

We know that Thomas worked at the Royal Victualling Yard in Deptford in a brewery (possibly how he met Sophia, as her father was a chief victualler) from at least 1794 - 1806 (wages records). On the last child's baptism in 1813 he was still working as a "Brewer" but likely in Bermondsey near where they lived.

So, question is, how do we find more about Thomas, his baptism and life prior to 1794?

I have found a number of Basley and Bazley baptisms in Deptford with fathers Richard and John. Also this one in the IGI

THOMAS BAZELEY Pedigree
    Male Family
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Marriages:
    Spouse: ELIZATH. TAYLOR Family
    Marriage: 13 DEC 1786 Saint Paul, Deptford, Kent, England

ELEANOR BAZELEY

Christening: 11 MAR 1787 Saint Paul, Deptford, Kent, England

Parents:
    Father: THOMAS BAZELEY Family
    Mother: ELIZATH.

This couple had further children born in Southwark.

Anyone with a better brain than me who can see a way forward or sideways here please?
    Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 16-07-08, 12:48.

Do you have a copy of the PR marriage? and do the witness hold any clues?

are the children named after her parents? or not? (what I mean is if say 3 of the kids are named after her side could the others be named after his?)

what I think you should be looking to do now is gathering ALL baptisms in that area that have that surname or variants and putting them into family groups.

were there any wills left? they might mention a sibling or nephew/neice?

s'about all I can think of atmo, sorry.
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Many thanks Julie. No Will, except by her father who refers to Thomas as Thomas Beizley deceased.

All the kids names could tie in nicely with her side - common ones - though does have John Cook as per her dad - except one name - that is Mark Charles. Charles ok, common and one of her bros names - but Mark is quite an unusual name for that time, isnt it.
      Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 16-07-08, 12:52.

Comment

Were all of Thomas and Elizabeth's children born before the Thomas / Sophia marriage? In which case they could both be the same Thomas with two wives?
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

No, forget that idea - the Pallot's entry for his marriage to Sophia has a b for bachelor.
          KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
          (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

How reliable is the original "b" for bachelor, do you think?

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Well, thats what I thought Christine. He seems a bit long in the tooth for a first marriage and seeing as Sophia was from St Pauls Deptford and seeing as after the first child in both marriages, the others were baptised in Southwark - that we may well have a first marriage with Liz Taylor (!!) then with Sophia (it just gives some extra possible lines to follow).
              Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 16-07-08, 15:14.

Comment

Heather, have you tried the LMA? That is how I found a baptism when there should have been a birth cert. but there was none.
                Elizabeth
                Research Interests:
                England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
                Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Hi Liz, well its a prob because we have no idea from whence he came only that he was born c1760 - no sign of him until he was in his 30s so I am wondering if he were in the navy as he ends up working at the naval dockyards. Ive just had a good old shuftie on familysearch (they seem to have new records on there) and Ive found the other Thomas Baizley still producing kids after mine was buried :( so thats one lead crushed.

Comment

Heather,

I even did a search on my BIVRI discs for the name and it didnt even come up with much. (but even they arent complete anyway)
                    Julie
                    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Working...
                    X