Purkis christening dilema

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purkis christening dilema

My great-great grandfather was JOSEPH THOMAS PURKIS, who was born on 8 June 1857 in Portsea.

He was the youngest of a large family. His parents were JAMES PURKIS and CHARLOTTE JANE (nee Hatch).

I am tidying up my notes. The first child is CHARLOTTE JANE, born in 1830. She was born 23 Aug 1830 and christened on 26 Sep 1830 at St Mary’s Portsea. Other children followed, and all were christened at St Mary's.

HOWEVER, there is this entry:
    JOSEPH THOS. christened 5 Oct 1834 ST. THOMAS PORTSMOUTH
    Parents Jos. Purkis/Charlotte

After Charlotte Jane in 1830, the next child Ellen arrived in 1838, so there is quite a gap. My mum wondered if James might have been sent to sea as he was a shipwright at the Naval Dockyards.

The thing is, is Joseph Thomas from my family?

I have all the IGI print outs, and I have searched them and the IGI extensively. There are no more children for Jos. and Charlotte Purkis, and no marriage. I couldn't find any trace in the censuses either.

Why would they have a child christened at St. Thomas when all the others were christened at St. Mary's?

I don't know how I can resolve this. I assume this Joseph Thomas died. If he were my family, it looks as though my great-grandfather was given his names.
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Sometimes James is written as Jas. so could it have been mis-transcribed as Jos.?

Perhaps someone can looked at the actual parish record for you.
    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

I wondered that, Wendy, but why would they change to St Thomas for one child?

It seems too much of a coincidence, but I don't know if I can claim him with any certainty.
      Elizabeth
      Research Interests:
      England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
      Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Hi Elizabeth

Could it just be the fact that they were living in a different place at the time? As you say, there is a big gap between 1830 and 1838 which would give them plenty of time to move around
        Jeanette
        Don't interpret this smile as happiness; it's insanity! :D

Comment

If you can look at the actual PR then it should say father's occupation and residence. Also you could look for a burial.
          KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
          (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Hi Jeanette,

There really isn't a great deal of distance between St Mary's and St Thomas' churches. I wonder when Joseph Thomas died - perhaps it was a quick christening.
            Elizabeth
            Research Interests:

Comment

KiteRunner,

The Hampshire Genealogical Society sent my mum a print-out of all Purkis/Purkiss/Purkess/Purkes burials way back in 1994, but Joseph wasn't on the list. However, I have no idea how comprehensive the list was.

I really think a few days' holiday in Portsmouth is called for. I haven't been there yet, and it might be better to go down and photocopy all the entries relevant to my family.
              Elizabeth
              Research Interests:

Comment

Oops, Sorry KiteRunner - I have now spotted it! I missed it first time around!

Joseph Thomas Purkis buried 18 January 1835 infant Southhampton St Mary

Southampton???

Not Portsmouth or Portsea? This gets more and more confusing!
                Elizabeth
                Research Interests:

Comment

Originally posted by Elizabeth Herts View Post
                  Hi Jeanette,

There really isn't a great deal of distance between St Mary's and St Thomas' churches. I wonder when Joseph Thomas died - perhaps it was a quick christening.
                  Thinking along those lines....could it have been a 'private' christening? I know with a couple of my ancestors that had private christenings they were still listed in the parish register but with the note 'private' made by the side. Not sure if that would show up on IGI. Perhaps, if this was the case, they could only get hold of the someone from St Thomas' at short notice
                  Jeanette
                  Don't interpret this smile as happiness; it's insanity! :D

Comment

There's a Thomas Purkis on the 1841 census living in Southampton with two children born in Foreign Parts named Charlotte and Mary Ann. I wondered if his wife could have also been Charlotte and he is the father of the child buried at Southampton??

Comment

Oh, Merry, I'm off to look!

Thos. and Jos. - confusion possible there, I think.
                      Elizabeth
                      Research Interests:

Comment

I found the census entry, but I'm rather stuck!

The family are given as "Purkiss" and not "Purkis", but that is par for the course!

It says Thomas Purkis was born in Hants. I have the IGI print outs and there are a couple of possiblities:

Thomas Purkis
                        Parents Thomas and Elizabeth
                        Christened 30 May 1807 St Mary Southampton

Thomas Purkiss
                        Parents James and Catherine
                        Christened 14 April 1812 St Mary's Portsea

Thomas Purkis
                        Parents John and Mary
                        Christened 27 Oct 1812 St John Portsea

The second one is interesting, as it is possibly my ancestors! However, the last child I have is 1809, but there could indeed be one more. However, there is a great deal of confusion here as there just might have been two couples called James and Catherine Purkis in Portsea!
                        Last edited by Elizabeth Herts; 16-07-08, 15:26.
                        Elizabeth
                        Research Interests:

Comment

Yes, I got a bit mixed up with my Thomas' and James! lol

There's also a James Purkis in Southampton in the 1836 trade directory. He's at 18 French Street.

Comment

The trouble is that Purkises are two a penny in Hampshire!
                            Elizabeth
                            Research Interests:

Comment

Indeed they are! lol

Comment

Working...
                              X