Cooks in Chute, Wiltshire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cooks in Chute, Wiltshire

I am looking for any connections to family called Cook in Chute, Wiltshire.
    Several families around 1850's in Upper Chute, Chute Standen and Vernham Dean.
    Any links please

Hallo Martin

Welcome to the site!

Not sure what you mean by "links". You could try googling for Chute and Cook and genealogy/family history which might find you snippets on other peope's trees on the web.

You can check our own database of member's surnames in their treesby clicking on the Gedcom tab at the top of this page.

Other than that, you can look at the Cook families in the villages you mentioned on the 1851 census. Then you can go back to 1841 and pick them up again.
    FamilySearch.org - Family History and Genealogy Records might have baptisms & marriages for that area,.

FreeREG Search doesn't have any of those places yet, but it does have a place called Vernham. Not sure if that is connected.

or on FamilyHistoryOnline - searchable databases for family history & genealogy in England, Wales & Australia has these databases which might have information of use to you.
    Wiltshire Removal Orders (1670-1890) 20,593 entries 23Apr2007
    Wiltshire Strays Index 18,578 entries 19NOV2004
    Index to Wiltshire Quarter Sessions Calendars (1728-1849) 59,867 entries 19NOV2004
    Salisbury Infirmary Admissions & Discharges 1 place (1767-1832)* 103,547 entries 09Aug2007
    Wiltshire MI Index 313 places (1245-1999)* 290,051 entries 09Aug2007
    NBI - Wiltshire FHS 122 places (1538-1895)* 234,463 entries 25Dec2006
    NBI - Gloucestershire FHS 2 places (1813-1858)* 471 entries 23JUN2003

If you go to their website you can click on available databases tap top left and then click on the database to see if it covers any of the areas you are interested in, before you do a search.

It is payperview, £5 for a number of units, which you use up when you view the information.

Sometimes there are extracts from parish registers on the internet, just a question of googling - but you generally have to go to the County Records office to check - or get film of the registers at your nearest LDS family history centre for which there is a small charge. Its worth doing this even when you find info online, as sometimes there are transcription errors and there's generally more information in the originals.

FreeBMD - Search will have civil registration information from 1st July 1837.

Registration Districts in Wiltshire is a list of registration districts in Wiltshire. You can click on each one to find out which one(s) covered the areas you want and then use that reg district in your search on Freebmd.

Sorry if I have either assumed you know what I'm talking about or told you what you already know, as you are new to this site not sure how much experience of this you have.

Just shout if you don't understand. I'm off to work now, but will be back late afternoon.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Hello Martin and welcome.

I don't know whether you have come across our Wiki yet - the Wiltshire page is here
      Wiltshire - Family Tree Forum

Hope it helps

Best wishes

Joan
      Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Oh I hope we haven't scared Martin off, or maybe he doesn't know how to pick up his threads?

Comment

Hi Little Nell and Muggins,
          not scared off - just don't go on computer every day.
          Thanks for all these suggestions, I have already used BMD's to get info I have from 1837 but I will look through the Wiltshire pages you have suggested.
          Thanks

Martin

Comment

Shout again if you need more help, good luck, hope you find what you are looking for.

Comment

Working...
            X