bei Gach ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bei Gach ?

I have an address in Berlin (1939) - the first line of the address is "bei Gach"

Would I be right in thinking that that means "c/o the Gach family"? That's just a guess as I've had a google & found nothing.

Thanks
    Joan died in July 2020.

Yes it does

Comment

Thanks Nicki - -that was quick! :D

You don't happen to know who the Gach family living at 14 Nestorstasse, Berlin-Halensee 2 in 1939 were, by any chance?? Only joking!! :D

Thank you
      Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Don't know who they are, but were probably not short of money as Nestorstr. crosses the Kudamm and goes to Charlottenburg , smart part of Berlin.

Comment

Thanks Nicky :D

That's extremely interesting
          Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Muggins in Sussex View Post
            Thanks Nicki - -that was quick! :D

You don't happen to know who the Gach family living at 14 Nestorstasse, Berlin-Halensee 2 in 1939 were, by any chance?? Only joking!! :D

Thank you
            Have you tried looking at this site:

Berliner Adressbücher

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
              Have you tried looking at this site:

Berliner Adressbücher

Christine
              Thanks Christine - I think that may be the site I tried once before, and couldn't understand how it worked :o

I'll have another go in the morning

Thank you
              Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

It looks as if it may have been a Guest House.

I think what I'm reading says:
                Gach Kate Pensionsinhab Wilmersdf Nestorstr 14 T

Just checked - Nestorstr appears to be in the Wilmersdorf area of Berlin.
                And the T at the end probably means they had a telephone.
                Last edited by Christine in Herts; 15-07-08, 22:09.
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

sehr gut, Christine!
                  ~ with love from Little Nell~
                  Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Vielen Dank!, Nell

I've been having a look on Google Maps and 14 Nestorstr appears to have looked out over the park of a Big House. Definitely a bit posh, Pension or not.

Christine

Comment

Thanks Christine - I think that may be the site I tried once before, and couldn't understand how it worked :o

I'll have another go in the morning

Thank you
                      That may be because the link to the search area isn't very clear. If you move your cursor over the bit near the top left that says:
                      Suche in den Berliner Adressbüchern
                      you get the search.

They also appear to have FAQ, How do I start? (Wie fänge ich an?), and an example for a search by name (Beispiel für eine Namenssuche) - which are all links.
                      There's an English are which explains what you can find:
                      Zusatzinformationen

Comment

Yes, once you get the hang of it, it's very good. Give me a shout tomorrow if you need some help (oh, except my daughter's off school because of the strike, well, hopefully I'll be around some time). Hopefully the name Gach isn't as common as the one I had to look up!
                        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Thanks Christine & Kite - afraid I did get stuck!!

I got as far as here, Lexikon Berliner Straßen und Plätze (Neptunstrasse) but can't work out how to go on to Nestorstrasse!
                          Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Just so you know I'm not ignoring you, Joan, I'm on the pocketsurfer at the mo and I don't think I can help till my daughter getsoff the computer. But the bit I looked at was in surname order.
                            KiteRunner

Comment

Thats OK Kite, thanks
                              Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Thanks Christine & Kite - afraid I did get stuck!!

I got as far as here, Lexikon Berliner Straßen und Plätze (Neptunstrasse) but can't work out how to go on to Nestorstrasse!

Actually, that bit should be easy - just click on the N at the top and it gives you the full list, but I can't see an Nestorstrasse in there.
                                KiteRunner

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
                                  Actually, that bit should be easy - just click on the N at the top and it gives you the full list, but I can't see an Nestorstrasse in there.
                                  Thanks, Kite - I think I was doing it right after all then ! :o
                                  Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Hope this link works - it should take you to the 1939 page with Nestorstrasse on:
                                    Berliner Adressbücher
                                    KiteRunner

Comment

Actually, not sure it is there, sorry, I hadn't loaded the full page when I posted that... back in a minute...
                                      KiteRunner

Comment

Anyway, I think this link will take you to the entry that Christine found, in the alphabetical surname listing:
                                        Berliner Adressbücher
                                        KiteRunner

Comment

Working...
                                        X