Same person? Opinions please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Same person? Opinions please

I am in the early stages of researching this theory and just wanted to see if anyone else thinks I could be right

OK

Margaret Ward b.1894 Illigitimate daughter of Elizabeth Ward b.1875
    Elizabeth Ward b.1896 Illigitimate daughter of Elizabeth Ward b.1875

Elizabeth Ward b.1875 married Arthur Henry Rate in 1897

on the 1901 census (RG13; Piece: 513; Folio: 130; Page: 49)
    Elizabeth Rate age 26
    Anne Rate age 5 (1896)
    Arthur Rate age 4 (1897)
    John C Rate age 1 (1900)

Margaret Ward and Arthur are not with the family, but Margaret turns up with her grandfather Robert Ward.

Now in 1915 Margaret Ward now using the name Rate marries John Brown with a witness Annie Elizabeth Rate
    in 1920 Annie E Rate marries William Whittock.

I have just got a copy of Elizabeth Ward b.1896 birth certificate and it was issued in 1917 so I thought maybe she applied for a new one for what ever reason, so I don't think she died in infancy

So could Elizabeth Ward be Annie Elizabeth Rate?

Hope it make sense

Thanks
    Vikki -
    Researching Titchmarsh and Tushingham

Quite possible if there is no Annie Rate to be found anywhere else
    jayne
    Jayne

My avatar is great great granny Annie Pugh, possibly christened 24 Feb 1858.

Comment

Highly likely ... in my humble opinion

But what use was her birth cert to her, at the age of 21, if she was using her step father's name & a different christian name to that which was registered at birth?

Curiouser & curiouser ...
      Bridget

Comment

Firstly I have several instances of children adopting their stepfather's surname.
        Secondly I have several instances of females changing their names when they get married or when they are older, ie
        Rose became Rosella
        Annie became Elizabeth Anne
        Eliza Ellen became Ellen
        Katie became Kate

Alternatively, her mother may have wanted her named Anne Eliizabeth but the registrar forgot the Anne bit, or she may have added Anne later to differentiate her daughter from herself - the daughter is Anne at least as early as 1901.

Why did she apply for her birth cert? Maybe to prove her identity for whatever reason. 21 was the age of majority then. Perhaps she was hoping that her birth father would be named on the cert and she wasn't eligible to apply for a copy until she was an adult.

Or it might have been something to do with employment or to do with the War.
        Last edited by Little Nell; 15-07-08, 18:34.
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I know this family grew up with secrets, Margaret Ward didn't find out that her father wasn't her father until the 1940's-1950's.

I have ordered Annie Elizabeths marriage certificate and fingers crossed it will give Arthur Henry Rate as father and the correct age of erm 24 (sorry mind gone blank), if so it will prove that Annie Elizabeth Rate and Elizabeth Ward are one and the same.

I think i've also un-covered another illigitimate sibling, Arthur Rate (from 1901 census) I have beeen looking for a birth reg for him and no hits but there are a couple of candidates as Arthur Ward!!!!!

I don't know if it was her who applied for the certificate, that is speculation on my part until the lady who emailed it to me tells me where she got it from!

Argh, I hate this hobby:(
          Vikki -
          Researching Titchmarsh and Tushingham

Comment

No you don't!
            ~ with love from Little Nell~
            Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Working...
            X