Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Irish Registration Districts - Galway No. 1 ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irish Registration Districts - Galway No. 1 ??

Thanks to KiteRunner, I have found the marriage of Cecil Herbert Newton to Mary Staunton in 1902.

The parish/district is given as "GALWAY No. 1 County Galway".

Does anyone have any idea what town/district of Galway that would be? I looked in the Wiki, but couldn't find anything.
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Is it a church wedding or civil one, Elizabeth?
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Never mind, I see it is a civil one. I'll see if I can find anything...
      KiteRunner

Comment

Sorry, Kite - I was researching on another website.

No church is mentioned.

The bride Mary Staunton is given with the address "Dominick St Galway". I don't know if that helps.
        Elizabeth
        Research Interests:
        England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
        Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Elizabeth, I went onto the West Galway site of the IFHF and did a free search and it said it was a Civil Marriage. I'm just trying to find a list of Irish civil registration districts to see what places would be included in that one now.
          KiteRunner

Comment

Thanks, Kite. I really don't know how to proceed with Irish research, it's all rather of a mystery to me.

I'm sure one of the names (of a witness) has been incorrectly transcribed. It is given as "Lily Binbridgt". The other witness was Edward P. Staunton, probably Mary's brother, as it says her father, also Edward, is deceased.
            Elizabeth
            Research Interests:

Comment

I've got to go out now, but I'm sorry to say I haven't found an answer to this registration district thing. You might be best to post it on somewhere like Rootschat or the ancestry / rootsweb forums in the County Galway section to see if there is an expert on there who can tell you. I would think it means the town of Galway, but not sure whether it would actually have had more than 1 registration district, or if the number is for a sub-district office or something.

As for Irish research, I just found a book on Google Book search which might help. I wonder if I can find it again?! Ooh, yes - "Finding Your Irish Ancestors" by David S Ouimette, and it looks as though you can read the whole book on there (maybe - I didn't actually try). It says published 2005, so it probably won't include stuff about the new online IFHF sites.
              Last edited by KiteRunner; 15-07-08, 13:57.
              KiteRunner

Comment

Thanks for your efforts, KiteRunner. In the scheme of things, it isn't important, but it's nice to dot the is and cross the ts. I was pleased to find the bride, though!
                Elizabeth
                Research Interests:

Comment

I don't really know much about Ireland, but came across this -
                  County Galway, Ireland - 1901 Census Heads of Household index page: From Ireland URL http://www.from-ireland.net, ©Jane Lyons

No idea if it's any help (you have to scroll down the page)
                  Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Joan, Thanks for that!

I have found a similar link:

Irish Statute Book, Statutory Instruments, S.I. No. 360/1993 — Registration of Births and Deaths (Ireland) Act, 1863 (Section 18) (Galway) Order, 1993.

It looks as though Galway No. 1 was Galway itself. See under 2c) It was changed in 1993.
                    Elizabeth
                    Research Interests:

Comment

Working...
                    X