Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• electoral rolls 1911

Hi

Please can someone let me know if it is possible to obtain any information on the occupants of a Middlesex address via the electoral role for 1910/1911?

many thanks
    Tricia

Tricia, you would need to go to the record office or library which has those electoral rolls available, as they are not online. Have you already tried looking the address up in the street directories on the Historical Directories website?
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Hi KiteRunner

I havn't tried that yet but I will do so. Will I find links to them in the Wikki?

thanks
      Tricia

Comment

This is the link, Tricia:
        Historical Directories
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Thanks KiteRunner...off to have a look.

fingers crossed
          Tricia

Comment

Electoral rolls are arranged by parliamentary ward - census pages tell you the parliamentary ward for that page. If you don't have an address it is a looonnnngggg search

Then they are alphabetically arranged by street and then numerically, listing all the people eligible to vote in 1911 (so no women). It won't tell you everyone that lived there, nor the relationships between the people.

Some electoral rolls are bound, others are on microfilm. I've also seen some that are wrapped up in paper and very fragile.

Local history centres, records offices and the British Library at St Pancras, London, have copies of rolls.
            ~ with love from Little Nell~
            Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Also the LMA hold all the electoral rolls for London. Although I'm not sure its London you want. Although Middlesex was London.

I've looked through the London ones on microfiche and they can get very confusing. Took me a little while to work out how to read them and I had an address!

I was looking up 1956-57.

Edit to say: I'm not sure where you're located Tricia but next time I go to the LMA not sure when though if the address falls in what is considered London I'll have a look for you.
              Last edited by Guest; 16-07-08, 07:13.

Comment

If you have an exact address and only one year you might get the info by e-mailing the relevant library/local history centre.

You don't say where in Middlesex.

Comment

I was trying recently to find out about people circa 1911 using directories, electoral rolls and school admissions registers, looking for people who appeared in all three.

I thought this wouldn't be too hard, but the archivist warned me how much people might be moving around, so not in directories. And if you moved from lodgings to lodgings, you probably didn't get on the electoral roll either.
                  Phoenix - with charred feathers
                  Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Even if you were eligible to vote!

Comment

Hi all

Thanks for your input..I am sorry that I have not replied earlier but have been quite busy.

I was unable to find the address I wanted in the Directories, I then contacted Bruce Castle Museum and they gave me the name of the occupant...It wasn't the name I was hoping for but as he was a grocer and had been employing staff/servants in both the1891 and 1901 census, I think it is fairly safe to assume that the 'unmarried mother' I am seeking was just employed by him.

Though she could have been 'friendly' with the son..

Tricia

Comment

Working...
                      X