Irish Family History Foundation church burials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irish Family History Foundation church burials

This gave me a surprise. Just idly looking up one of my surnames on the Irish Family History Foundation website:
    Birth Death Marriage Genealogy Records Ireland - Irish Family History Foundation

one of the matches it found was for my great-grandmother, listed under "Church Burials". I've paid to view the record and it is definitely her (all the info matches what I had already). It even gives cause of death (which I already had from her death cert) and grave owner, fee, and class ("military" - her husband was a soldier).

Very interesting, but she was buried in the Old City Cemetery, Belfast, and I had to contact a department of Belfast City Council when I was originally finding out where she was buried - surely the city cemetery wouldn't count as a church burial? Is it just a mistake in how the website describes this kind of record, do you think? (I see it gives her denomination as "Presbyterian")

Sorry, to avoid confusion, I should add that the actual record on the IFHF site says "City Cemetery".
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

did the presbyterian,s have there own churchyard?brenda xxx

Comment

Bren, she wasn't really a Presbyterian, I'm sure. But surely the City Cemetery wasn't a churchyard at all, that's why I'm confused to see it listed as a church burial. If her name wasn't so rare for Ireland I would have assumed it was somebody else and not paid to view it.
      KiteRunner

Comment

KiteRunner - Thanks so much for the link!

I have found the marriage of OH's great-uncle Cecil Herbert Newton to Mary Staunton in 1902! We never knew the name of his wife before.
        Elizabeth
        Research Interests:
        England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
        Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Glad it was useful, Elizabeth.
          Something else strange is that the "church burials" don't seem to be available on the Ulster Historical Foundation website.
          KiteRunner

Comment

Working...
          X