Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please can anyone read this name?

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could read this name? It's a marriage record between Henry Chaplin & Sarah ???????

I've tried various possibilities on ancestry & family search but with no luck.

Really I haven't got a clue what it says!!!!

Any help much appreciated

Liz

It looks like Lusshy, but I could be way off the mark there..
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Liz where did sarah come from? or the marriage take place?
      Julie
      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

there is a cross because the reson couldnt write. it says the mark of then there names,on both names brenda xxx

Comment

It looks more like Lusshy the second time it's written. I wonder if we would write it as Lushy?

Comment

Hi Julie,

The marriage took place in Benhall, Suffolk. I think Sarah was from Suffolk, most likely in the Benhall area.

Liz

Comment

I've just tried Lushy & Lusshy on ancestry as a surname only but there don't seem to be any families with that surname in Suffolk. The 1841 census says Sarah was born in Suffolk. Lusha actually seem to be a surname more common in East Anglia but I don't think the marriage cert says that.

Liz

Comment

Hi Brenda,

Yes, its a shame she couldn't write. Her writing might have been easier to understand!!

Saying that though I do have one ancestor who signed her marriage certificate but left her mark on her daughter's birth certificate. Her writing was very neat but very child like. I suppose her name was all she could write & after years of rearing children she maybe forgot.

Liz

Comment

Liz

No, not necessarily!

Most people back then were very obedient to those in authority, and if the Registrar just said haughtily "Make your mark" then she wouldn't have said "But I can write my name".

OC

Comment

Hi OC,

Thats nice to know but also quite sad if she could have signed her name but didn't because she was 'told to leave her mark'.

Liz

Comment

Liz

I think it happened quite a lot.

I also have one case in my family where the woman could read and write with ease, but signed with her mark.

The fact that she was falsely registering the birth of her illegitimate grandchild as her own child, may have had something to do with it!

OC

Comment

Luphly? Luphey? Lusley?
                        ~ with love from Little Nell~
                        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

There are several Lusbys on the IGI but not from Suffolk.
                          KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                          (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

in the presence of sarah chaplin and robert chaplin ...where these his mother and father?there is a o and h and y at the end of her name first is an l and second a u,but its the next one,could be f,p,.... brenda xxx
                            Last edited by Guest; 15-07-08, 11:39.

Comment

Looks like LUFSHY to me, but may need new glasses :D
                              www.chrisatstjohns.tribalpages.com
                              http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/index.php/User:ChrissyConfused-91

Comment

could it be a german surname?

Comment

its a p and not a f look at the name chaplin at the top p the same brenda xxx

Comment

On Ancestry there is a Henry Luffe aged 80, living in Benhall.
                                    Image looks like Lufse so if could be the use of "fs" for a double "s".
                                    Elaine

Comment

so it could be german?brenda xxxhave you looked on the lds site for his name and a marraige?

Comment

where ...were they married could it be isle of man?

Comment

Working...
                                        X