Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worcester query

Hi,

I have William Lawley bc 1764 Pensax, Worcs. On IGI there are 2 possibilities, but I am not sure if either are mine.

I have searched for a church in Pensax for that time but can't find one. If possible if anyone can help with a church, I can ask for a lookup. Alternatively, any help or advice would be much appreciated, to enable me to get past this brick wall.

Many thanks in advance,
    regards
    treesa

I can only see one Pensax baptism, a personal submission for a William Verney Lawley. Genuki says the church is dedicated to St James
    GENUKI: Pensax, Worcestershire
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Yes, that's what I found, but it was built in 1832.

Comment

And the baptism is linked to his marriage on IGI, no parents names are given.

Comment

GENUKI also says Pensax is in the parish of Lindridge,so I think you would need to look in the records of that parish for the bapt.
          KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
          (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

I have done that as you suggested, but Lindridge, St Lawrence, was built 1862. So I don't know where to go from here.

treesa

Comment

Hugh Wallis's batch number site IGI Batch Numbers for Worcester, England says there are records for Lindridge on the IGI which date back to 1574, so there must have been a church there before 1862. He also says there are Pensax records on the IGI going back to 1620. There are a few Lawley baptisms listed at Pensax around the right time, but not a William. And also a few Lawleys listed in Lindridge but again, no William. The father is Benjamin for all of them, if that's any help. It could possibly be that William is in the PR's for one or other place but got missed out when the IGI was transcribed, or that bit of the PR's is illegible.
              KiteRunner

Comment

I have had a look at these and Benjamin and Mary married 1769. William bc1764.

Comment

Treesa, there are some children listed with parents Benjamin and Elizabeth as well - I think they are before the Benjamin and Mary ones, so William could be one of Benjamin and Elizabeth's children?
                  KiteRunner

Comment

Oooh, I see that one of those William Lawleys you mentioned seeing on the IGI is the son of Benjamin and Elizabeth! But his baptism is at Shelsley Beauchamp (26 Jan 1762).
                    *gets map out*
                    Last edited by KiteRunner; 15-07-08, 13:36.
                    KiteRunner

Comment

This link might be useful to you

Teme Valley North Parish
                      Helen in Glos

Comment

Yes, I see who you are talking about now. I suppose it it an educated guess that these are William's parents, given the dates , but I thank you for your help, and will go along that these are indeed his parents.

Thank you very much for your great help, as I was beginning to think this was a dead end!!

regards treesa

Comment

Just read your last post, so now I am more confused!!

Comment

Okay, so on the IGI we have children of Benjamin and Elizabeth:
                            William 1762 Shelsley Beauchamp
                            James 1763 Lindridge
                            Thomas 1765 Pensax
                            Francis 1767 Pensax

Then children of Benjamin and Mary:
                            Mary 1770 Lindridge
                            John 1772 Lindridge
                            Elizabeth 1775 Lindridge

Shelsley Beauchamp is only a few miles away from Pensax. So the most likely explanation is that Benjamin married Elizabeth first, had some children, Elizabeth died, then he married Mary and had more.

Benjamin Lawley / Elizabeth Peat marriage 5 May 1761 Shelsley Beauchamp

Benjamin Lawley / Mary Smith marriage 29 Dec 1769 Lindridge.
                            Last edited by KiteRunner; 15-07-08, 13:44. Reason: wrong year for marriage
                            KiteRunner

Comment

By the way, I wasn't suggesting that you should assume they were his parents before we found the baptism - I was going to suggest that you would need to go and look at the actual PR's and Bishop's Transcripts or see if the possible father left a will, etc, but now the Shelsley Beauchamp baptism looks as though it fits in, doesn't it?
                              KiteRunner

Comment

Ahh, the penny drops! Yes I see now, that it is a possibilty that this is the same Benjamin, two marriages.

William born Pensax, but it is ok? to go with the Shelsey, bapt rather than the Rochford one?

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
                                  So the most likely explanation is that Benjamin married Elizabeth first, had some children, Elizabeth died, then he married Mary and had more.
                                  From the NBI
                                  Burial of Elizabeth Lawley, 18 Sep 1768, age at death not known.
                                  Buried St Lawrence, Lindridge.
                                  Elaine

Comment

Yes, that fits in with your sleuthing results, thank you very much!!

Comment

Originally posted by treesa View Post
                                      Ahh, the penny drops! Yes I see now, that it is a possibilty that this is the same Benjamin, two marriages.

William born Pensax, but it is ok? to go with the Shelsey, bapt rather than the Rochford one?

Bother, I didn't realise Rochford was so near to Pensax as well! It does look as though the one baptised at Shelsley Beauchamp must have moved to Pensax when he was very young so may well have thought he was born there. John and Sarah (parents of the Rochford William) had quite a few children baptised in Rochford but nowhere else (on the IGI, anyway).

I suppose you would need to check the burials to see if either of the two Williams died young. Also if your William named his eldest son Benjamin it would help! And look to see if you can find what happened to the Rochford William to see if you can rule him out.

By the way, where did you get the information that your William was born in Pensax from in the first place? I'm just thinking he wouldn't still be around for the 1851 census, would he?
                                      KiteRunner

Comment

This is the problem I have with the 2 Williams. I have William's son, William's, marr cert stating William as father. From census I have Willm jnr's date of birth and took it from there. I then got Wills jnr's birth from igi, stating William and Elizabeth as parents, wich fits in with the census. Then Willm and Eliz.'s marriage, with Will's bc date on it too. Trying to fnd Will snr's bapt is this query.

Willm snr didn't name a son Benjamin either, neither did his son Willm.

I can't access the buriel records as I am not subscribed.

Comment

Working...
                                        X