two death register entries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• two death register entries

why would my aunt have two different entries on the death register?

gladys elizabeth wright died nov 1997

gladys elizabeth crosbie died nov 1997

i knew her as gladys wright but she is buried with her brother under the name of gladys elizabeth crosbie so i know it is the same person.
    the meercat.

It is only one entry, indexed under both surnames. If you sent for the cert, it would have both surnames on it.

OC

Comment

hi olde crone.

why would it be indexed in both names her single name was wallace.

thanks.
      the meercat.

Comment

Depends on what is on her death certificate. If Wallace was her maiden name, were Crosbie and Wright married names?
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

she must of remarried after wright.
          i will have to phone my auntie and find out but i thought the last name
          you married with was your name and that was what was on the the death register.
          thanks.
          the meercat.

Comment

The name on the death cert will be the name given by whoever informed the death. It may or may not be correct.
            ~ with love from Little Nell~
            Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

thanks i will have to have a nosey delve.
              this is what happens when i go grave hunting !!!
              the meercat.

Comment

Are the reference numbers identical? If so, it is only one registration, but two names appear on the cert.

If the reference numbers are not identical, then I suggest a mistake was made when the death was registered and then quickly corrected.

OC

Comment

she must of remarried after wright.
                  I would think it more likely she didn't marry again after being Mrs Wright, but was known my the surname Crosbie. If she had married a Mr Crosbie then generally that would be the name her death would be registered under.

If the person registering the death felt the urge to tell the registrar that Gladys' "real name was Wright, but that she was known as Crosbie, then that might account for the two index entries.

Comment

Working...
                  X