Solving census problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solving census problems

The latest podcast from TNA discusses census problems. The lecturer gives search tips on finding people on the census using ancestry and 1901 websites. Gives some good tips if you're not very good at searching.
    Phil
    historyhouse.co.uk
    Essex - family and local history.

Thanks Phil, tagging so I can have a shuftie when I get home.
    Rose

Comment

Well worth a listen. I have never understood 'wildcards' and he explains them very clearly.

I also find I have been searching using too much information lol.

Thanks again Phil.
      Rose

Comment

I think I'm OK at census searching, but I can't get any sound out of the link :o

Comment

have you got your speakers on? :D
          Rose

Comment

take the cheese out of your ears LOL

Comment

there is an interesting article in FTM this week about that.
              One of the suggestions is if you cant find somebody reverse their first and surnames ????
              even middle names and nick names .
              Last edited by Guest; 14-07-08, 16:48.

Comment

have you got your speakers on? :D
                take the cheese out of your ears LOL

Speakers on max and no cheese in my ears :(

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                  there is an interesting article in FTM this week about that.
                  One of the suggestions is if you cant find somebody reverse their first and surnames ????
                  even middle names and nick names .
                  Not as daft as it sounds. I've certainly seen cases where it's very obvious that the enumerator has listed inhabitants surname-first, but the transcriber has faithfully rendered the first-found name as if it were the first name.

Christine
                  Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Merry, if it's any consolation, I can't hear anything either, and I have been listening to other stuff on my computer today. :(
                    Elizabeth
                    Research Interests:
                    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
                    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Working...
                    X