IGI batches beginning with P

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IGI batches beginning with P

Could anyone be so kind as to tell me the significance of the P prefix? I checked the Wiki and it doesn't mention them as far as I can see
    Many thanks in advance
    Janexxx
    To boldly go where no genealogist has gone before....

Try a read of this:

IGI Batch Numbers - British Isles and North America
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Thanks Nell, it mentions the P series but doesn't explain them on that link. ie the difference between them and the C batches for instance. The reason I ask is because I couldn't find a ref from a P batch in the PR microfilm and was wondering why
      Can anyone else help?
      Last edited by Cool Blue; 13-07-08, 16:32.

Comment

Coolblue

I understand P batches to be "Parish registers, mixed entries" (baptisms and marriages, sometimes a few deaths)

The P batches seem to be for the larger churches, ones which have a few daughter churches/chapels of ease etc. In other words, the information is coming from several different venues to the mother church.

They are a bit like Bishops Transcripts, except that that is not what they were intended for, they were intended to be the record of the mother church.

One I can think of off hand, is Prestbury St Peter in Cheshire. This is a P-batch number and includes records for several different churches - but the transcriptions on the IGI do not SAY that, you will only find that out if you actually look at the register.

OC

Comment

Thanks OC, an excellent explanation.
          The batch was indeed from a big church, St Peter's, Bolton and I seem to remember the chapels of ease etc are actually included in the same register, but in a seperate section. which I didn't look at, thinking the record would be at St Peter's proper.
          What a valuable piece of information.
          I am most grateful for your input
          Janexxx

Comment

Some churches (e.g. South Newington in Oxfordshire - but that isn't on the IGI - and some of the Devon & Cornwall church registers, too) used to mix up their records - so they'd have had to use P for those. I imagine it isn't the only church that did that. Paper could be expensive, so they filled every bit of space.

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
            X