1911 Census

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1911 Census

Just wondering if anyone has requested any information from the 1911 census?
    I know it isn't available as a full document until 1912, but you can give them a specific address to look up.
    Do they give all the information.... ie all the occupants, their ages, professions etc.??
    Thanks

Tracy

Tracy, I haven't (because it costs way too much!) but I believe they usually give you all the info except the disabilities column.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Yes, that's what I thought too.

Their website states:

We cannot provide personally sensitive information from the 1911 census

So I suppose if there was anything else recorded for anyone in the household they decided was sensitive, they have the right to withhold that info too.

Comment

But most of my ancestors - I don't know the address they were living at. That's why I want the 1911 census! And I certainly can't afford £45 a time either!
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Thank you.:p
          It's actually perfect for finding my 'John Nolan' as it will confirm that he was living with the Howarth family and when you divide the £45 by 4 years it would be available...... its less than £12 per year of waiting... so I'm going to bite the bullet!!

Tracy
          Last edited by castanea1985; 13-07-08, 09:48.

Comment

Info here:
            Search the archives | 1911 census

scroll down to find link to online application form.
            ~ with love from Little Nell~
            Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
              Info here:
              Search the archives | 1911 census

scroll down to find link to online application form.
              Thank you, Little Nell:p

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
                But most of my ancestors - I don't know the address they were living at. That's why I want the 1911 census! And I certainly can't afford £45 a time either!
                Yes, that's the same for me too, but if I had grandparents who were married after 1901 and born before and I couldn't be certain who they were in 1901 AND they had a child in 1911 Q2 then I would pay! lol Luckily for me though, I've not been in that situation

Comment

Originally posted by castanea1985 View Post
                  when you divide the £45 by 4 years it would be available...... its less than £12 per year of waiting... so I'm going to bite the bullet!!

Tracy
                  :D Putting it like that makes it sound almost reasonable .... hope you'll let us know what information is included

good luck ;)

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Hi Tracy....

Yes.They give you all the information except the disabilities.
                    You just have to be certain of the exact address!

You will also get to see the handwriting and signature of your ancestor as the census is shown as it was filled in by your rellie!

The delivery is very quick too...I received mine in just 2 days!

Good luck...Hope you find what you're after!

Sandra.
                    Sandra:smilee:

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Cake View Post
                      Hi Tracy....

Yes.They give you all the information except the disabilities.
                      You just have to be certain of the exact address!

You will also get to see the handwriting and signature of your ancestor as the census is shown as it was filled in by your rellie!

The delivery is very quick too...I received mine in just 2 days!

Good luck...Hope you find what you're after!

Sandra.
                      Hi Sandra.

Well we hope it is the right address! He was left with this family as a baby and I've asked for the address they were living at in 1911, so fingers crossed.
                      My grandfather would only be 5, so I guess he wouldn't fill in the census himself, but rather the adults in the house hold. It's more of a confirmation really - but as I've nothing to go on from the 1901 (he wasn't even born then) - I couldn't stand the thought of waiting another 4 years!!
                      Can't wait for it to arrive!

Tracy

Comment

Tracy

Errrmmm....the 1911 is due to come on line starting next year.

However, if this is as successful as the disastrous GRO birdie projects, I think you have probably done the right thing!

Good luck anyway - let us know what it says, won't you.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                          Tracy

Errrmmm....the 1911 is due to come on line starting next year.

However, if this is as successful as the disastrous GRO birdie projects, I think you have probably done the right thing!

Good luck anyway - let us know what it says, won't you.

OC
                          Hi OC,

We are going down the DNA route too...... so will let you know the outcome!

Tracy

Comment

There is an example on my website at
                            cenind

In case anyone has difficulty with the long url click here
                            cenind
                            Cheers
                            Guy
                            Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Thanks for that Guy.

Tracy

Comment

I also sent off for my relatives 1911 Census sheet - bit pricy at £45, but worth it overall.

Certainly helped me in the research.

But I wouldn't chance an address if you were not 100% sure you had the correct one.

£7 for a wrong cert is one thing - £45 for a wrong address to get a copy of the 1911 Census is another !

Good luck Tracy, hope you get the information you are after..........and maybe a bit more as well you don't know !!!!

Comment

I wonder how flexible they are? eg

It would seem unfair if, say, you wanted two households.....One lived at 23 The High Street, in 1911, but on the census they were living nextdoor at number 21..... The other family were living in the hamlet of Little Borough in 1911 which only had 10 homes and no specific addresses......Would you receive the second, despite them having to search within the hamlet for the family, but not the first, because the address was "wrong"?

Comment

hi,

i have ordered the 1911 census for my dads grandparents as i knew when his mum was born and was told her 2 brothers were older than her..... you try and find albert and arthur wood yorkshire from 1907-1910 (lots of them!!!).

so i thought it would be £45 well spent and help me out no end. NO it didnt, the only child listed is my nan, which meant her brothers were born after her so again i'm back to searching for albert and arthur wood yorkshire from 1910.

i know they exist as i have photos of them, and of their wifes and kids!

if you know the address and are after something specific and can afford it, i would say do it!

i intend to buy another copy of it for my 2nd grt grandparents (when i get the money).
                                    **no point asking the living for help as the dead are more helpful!!!**

https://purplerosefamilytree.blogspot.com/

Comment

Well, the census arrived this morning....... very quick service!!

And it has my grandad listed........ but....... with a different surname!!!
                                      So it certainly was worth sending for!

A lot more 'digging' needed!!:D

Tracy

Comment

Sounds like getting the census was vital then?

Comment

Working...
                                        X