Confused

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confused

I have an Emma Howe marrying 8th Jan 1888 in Islington aged 18. Her father is given as Robert Howe, ostler and the witnesses are James Robert Howe and Emma Howe.

In 1891 Emma is 20 and born in Islington and in 1901 she is 31 and born Islington.

James Robert Howe seems to have been born 1864 Islington (FreeBMD) and marries Emma Mosedale in 1889. He is a horsekeeper groom in 1891 and 1901.

In 1871, there is a James Howe aged 7 born Islington with siblings Frank, Louisa, Martha and Kate and parents Robert Howe 65 horsekeeper groom born Buxton Norfolk and mother Elizabeth 47 born Somersetshire.

In 1881, there is a Robert Howe aged 60 born Buxton Norfolk, a married watchman in service in Islington and in 1891 there is a Robert Howe aged 84, groom, married in Islington Workhouse.

But I can't find Emma or Elizabeth or any of the others in 1881. There is an Emma Howe born c1866 Clerkenwell in service in 1881 and an Emma Howe born 1865 Islington district on FreeBMD but if this is her, where is she in 1871?
    Asa

Asa

If Emma's age is given as 18 in Jan 1888, 20 in Apr 1891 and 31 in Mar 1901 she isn't being consistent. Her birth year could be 1870 or 1871 depending on where her birthday falls.

This is the likeliest birth
    Edith Emma Howe
    1871 Oct-Nov-Dec Islington 1b Page: 232

although I am not convinced. But if this is her, she wouldn't have been born in time for the 1871 census.

I am wondering whether she was born under another name and Mr Howe was her stepfather.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

This isn't much help, but in case you hadn't looked, Kate Howe aged 18 months in 1871 wih Robert amnd Elizabeth was born Eleanor Kate and married as Eleanor Kate so it isn't her, having a funny five minutes with her name!

Comment

This is the likeliest birth
        Edith Emma Howe
        1871 Oct-Nov-Dec Islington 1b Page: 232
        I think the father of that one is John :(

Comment

Oh, that's really odd....they have a Kate Howe in their family too aged 13 months (the other one was 18 months). So, now I don't know which Kate the Eleanor Kate records belong to!!

*heavy sigh*

Comment

Oops, forget my last post.......that Kate was 13 months on the 1881 and the othger Kate was 18 months on the 1871!

Maybe I should eat my breakfast?!!

Comment

This could be Elizabeth's death:

Elizabeth Howe
              Age at Death: 49 [Estimated Birth Year: abt 1826]
              1875 Apr-May-Jun Islington 1b Page: 163

If Elizabeth died when Emma was about 4 or 5, she may well have been sent off to a relative or taken in by another family.

Comment

Merry

I've just had my breakfast but its not helping!

Comment

Asa

I see Robert says he is married in 1881. I tried to check the image to see if it could say wid instead, but I got a page with no sign of Robert on it, unless I'm going blind.

Comment

He's on the next page Nell. The 1881 does that if the household goes over the page!

Can't read his occ. Marital status is M.

Comment

Can't find a likely marriage for Emma's parents either:-(

Comment

Thank you! I can't find a marriage for the parents either. And I haven't found them before 1871.

In 1881, there is an Elizabeth T Howe born Exeter aged 59 and there are a few coinciding names and rough areas of birth but I don't think this is the right lot.
                        Asa

Comment

But the James Robert Howe (witness) and the James son of Robert the horsekeeper groom in 1871 look to be the same person don't they?
                          Asa

Comment

I wonder who the witness, Emma Howe, is? I was thinking she was Emma Mosedale, but she wasn't married at the time :(

Comment

I was wondering about the same thing, Merry. There is an Emma Howe born c1866 Islington daughter of an Emma - but her father is Henry, a wine cooper.
                              Asa

Comment

Sorry got to let OH come on - will be back later.
                                Asa

Comment

Working...
                                X