Well, that was a waste of 7 pounds!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, that was a waste of 7 pounds!

I finally ordered the birth certificate for my g-g-grandfather George William GLASSCODINE to find out the exact address where he was born - all I had from the censuses was "Yarmouth, Isle of Wight". Guess what it says for "where born" and "residence of informant" - Yarmouth! Well, that's a lot of help! I suppose it does give me his exact date of birth (7th Aug 1856) but apart from that, a complete waste of money.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Will the local RO version be just as informative do you think?
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Oh thats a shame and so annoying.

Comment

Uncle John, I rather think that would be throwing good money after bad, don't you?
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Yes, very annoying and I see the family were not there long.

Maybe his baptism would have their address?

Comment

You'll just need to find someone else with him in their tree and offer to get the cert from the local RO.

Comment

It's extremely unlikely the local RO copy would be different! Anyway, Kite didn't say where she got her copy from!!

Comment

Straws, clutching for the use of.

Comment

How big was Yarmouth, Isle of Wight? If its like other places I have which don't have exact addresses, there would have been one main street with most houses on it.

Annoying I know. I have a lot of ancestors who have vague addresses.
                  ~ with love from Little Nell~
                  Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

The modern google map just shows a few roads. Maybe if you look at the census there might be some clues mentioning a pub or grand house that will enable you to get a slightly better idea about where in Yarmouth.

Alternatively, its possible a later cert for the family might have a more exact address - though that could be another £7 wasted!

Comment

Or if you find a neighbour close to the family on the census, who has his own business/trade you might find his exact address in a directory.

Comment

Might be worth getting one of the IOW members to look at the parish records for Yarmouth to see if there's a baptism. It's not a massive place even now really, so I'm sure it will be easy enough to find out which Church he'd have been baptised in.
                        Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

Comment

If I were In Charge, I would mark the GRO indexes with an asterisk, which would mean "Not going to be much use though" against these scanty certificates.

I have several of these useless certs.

OC

Comment

OC

Which begs the question

why aren't you in charge?

Comment

Yarmouth had 600 residents in 1861, but Kit's family were in Shropshire, or somewhere, by then! Just the one son born in IoW by the look of it.

Comment

Could I suggest you contact the IOW RO and ask them if they would be good enough to look up his baptism for you. I have asked them before to look for something for me and they are very good. The Yarmouth church is St James, by the way.
                                Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Name = GLASSCODINE Year = 1856

If this helps from IoW BMD's
                                  Name Approximate
                                  Date of birth Other Surname(s) District Reference
                                  1 GLASSCODINE, George, William 1856 VIDGEN Calbourne Ca7/P15

Information Crown Copyright from The National Archives of the United Kingdom

Comment

Calbourne is the reg. district for Yarmouth, so no help there.
                                    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

The Local FHS might have access to land records which might tell you something?

Christine
                                      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Any clues to his occupation like Lighthouse Keeper?? Might help if he was in army/navy or whatever?

Janet

Comment

Working...
                                        X