Is this the one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this the one?

I received a Marr/cert this morning and trying to find him on the census, but having trouble because I am not very good with places up north.
    I am looking for a Thomas Heyes born 1891 as he was 21 when he married in 1912, his occupation is miner, his father 's name is John Heyes and he is a miner, he married in St Helens Lancaster he lived at 29 Epsom St, Parr, is what I think it reads.
    I have found this one what do you think the age is 4 years out so not sure
    1891 RG12, Piece 3023, Folio 103, Page 18
    going back to have another look
    GWEN

I'd be inclined to try 1901 first. He may not have been born at the time of the 1891 census - and 4 is a massive age difference over 0-1!

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Who are the witnesses on the certificate - do the names help at all?
      Elaine

Comment

I agree with Christine to try first to find him on 1901
        but the age of 21 (from the marriage cert) could have meant 'over 21' so able to marry without parental consent.
        Bridget

Comment

Cannot find him on 1901 and the witness names do not help. Peter Farr and the other one is sister of the bride as I have found her family with no problems always a way as I do not want to follow that line.
          GWEN

Comment

The 1891 census I found is the civil parish is Parr
            GWEN

Comment

This is the same family in 1901, with Thomas' year of birth given as 1886.
              RG13; Piece: 3522; Folio: 52; Page: 40.
              Elaine

Comment

Gwen, have you found the index entry for his death? That should tell you his age at death which would help to confirm when he was born.
                KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

No not found his death yet been to busy looking for him on the census
                  GWEN

Comment

I suppose the 1911 census will be the most useful one to find him on, but you'll have to wait a while yet for that unless you want to spend a lot of money!
                    KiteRunner

Comment

Looked at the 1901 entry for the same family and Thomas is not a miner different occupation but he could have changed. Not sure what to do about this family?
                      GWEN

Comment

Well, my advice would be to try to get his death certificate and see what his age is on there. Is there anybody in your family who might know more details about him?
                        KiteRunner

Comment

Ooh, I just had another idea - did he fight in WW1? And if so, have you looked to see if his service record is available?
                          KiteRunner

Comment

Originally posted by Gwen@coggiecorner View Post
                            Looked at the 1901 entry for the same family and Thomas is not a miner different occupation but he could have changed. Not sure what to do about this family?
                            It says he is a Day Wage man in Coal mine (underground).....surely that is a miner employed on a casual basis????

Comment

have to dash my vistors have arrived will be back later thanks everyone
                              GWEN

Comment

Found this one
                                RG13; Piece: 3552; Folio: 54; Page: 49.
                                Thomas Heyes b c1892 Wigan, father John coal miner

Update: There is a tree on Ancestry for this one, and he appears to marry a Florence Bentham in 1919 - so we can probably discard him!
                                Last edited by Elaine ..Spain; 12-07-08, 13:49.
                                Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Lyn A View Post
                                  It says he is a Day Wage man in Coal mine (underground).....surely that is a miner employed on a casual basis????
                                  I think it means he gets paid for a day's work rather than by the weight of coal he mined.
                                  Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Now that makes a lot of sense, John! Thanks for putting me right. As you probably guessed, I know nothing about the mines or mining.
                                    Still think that he would be classed as a miner on the marriage cert, wouldn't he?

Comment

And there is this one.....
                                      RG13; Piece: 3571; Folio: 158; Page: 26....but he was born in Orrell and they are not living in St Helen.
                                      Last edited by Lyn A; 12-07-08, 14:03.

Comment

Thanks everyone for trying to help and sorry I could not return yesterday I had vistors and they went later than expected. Been looking again this morning and I am not sure about this family. It looks like I will have to apply for a birth cert but which one I am still not sure as there are few Thomas Heyes it could be. I am doing this for a family member and cannot believe how young each generation is and how long and some many certs its taken before I could get onto the census.
                                        Thanks again
                                        GWEN

Comment

Working...
                                        X