question about Will just received

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question about Will just received

Have just received the 2xWills I have been waiting for, unfortunately although they are legible, they have left me with more questions than answers!!

First question, would a step-son be refered to as a Son-in-law? Am wondering now if I have the right Wills.

Be back later, have to take dogs out before it rains. More questions will follow!!

Lesley

Yes, son in law was the old term for stepson. You will see it used in that way on the censuses very often.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Thanks for reply Kiterunner. That is the answer I was hoping for. Maybe I have the right Will after all. Still have a lot of queries to sort out though! May be looking for more help and guidance later when I have more time.

Lesley

Comment

Another question re Will

In my 3xg.Grandfathers will he leaves his total estate to quote

'Do herby will-bequeath and devise unto my wife Charlotte Owen otherwise Charlotte Gore of South Street'........unquote

Now my grandfather Lewis Owen b.1790 died 1847 Gosport married Grace Hutchins in 1811 also in Gosport. Grace died in 1830 after having 8 of his children, the youngest of which was Emma my 2xg.Grandmother. In the 1841 Cencus, 2 of these children, William and Emma (mistranscribe as Zinne!!) are with Lewis and Charlotte Owen.

The question is, Did Lewis and Charlotte every marry as I cannot find a marriage cert. for them. I have found a Marriage for Lewis Owen and a Charlotte Roach in Portsea in 1832 Which I thought was the right one, until I sent for the Will of Charlotte Owen died 1863 and found that she had left everything to her 'beloved daughters' and in turn her 14 grandchildren. On checking the daughters details, they all have the maiden name of GORE!! She also instructs that her 'son in law' William Owen (son of Lewis) be paid nineteen pounds nineteen shillings!! So I know it is the right Lewis Owen!

Any ideas anyone? Do you think that possibly Lewis Owen and Charlotte Gore never married but she just took on his name. Her burial record clearly says Charlotte Owen. no mention of Gore on that.

If I don't get back to any suggestions. will look back later as I have to go out soon.

Many thanks in anticipation

Lesley

Comment

Lesley, they could well have married before civil registration started (1837) in which case you would have to look through parish registers to find the marriage, so it could just be that they married at a church which isn't on the IGI or other easily available index?
          KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
          (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Thanks for reply KiteRunner. Did go to the Study Centre this afternoon to have a browse through parish registers for our local churches but they were closed!!! On Strike!! How inconsiderate of them. Lol. Can't get there now till Saturday.

Lesley.

Comment

On checking the daughters details, they all have the maiden name of GORE!!
              Is that children she had before she was with Lewis Owen?

If they were children with Lewis, then it would seems they were not married and the wording of the will does seem to suggest that too.

If the children were from before Lewis, then do you know who their father was?

Comment

The children were with John Gore. Charlottes maiden name was Berry. They married in Gosport in 1813.

The first child Mary Ann was bap.1814. Charlotte (daughter of John and Charlotte) was bapt.1837 two years before her marriage to James Seymour in Gosport! The other daughter Emma was a widow (according to the Will, of Joseph Davis) Have found Emma on the census and her childrens names do tie up with the names mentioned in the Will. Sorry, Merry, can't confirm Emma's name as Gore as I can't find a record of her baptism or marriage. My mistake there.

Lesley.

Comment

Do you have a death for John Gore?

Comment

'morning Merry. Have got a death in March 1842 to check out at local Study Centre. The Burial record should give age at death. Unfortunately, the Study Centre is closed for two days due to Strike action! Other than that possibility, no I do not have a death.

Lesley

Comment

Just had a look on 1841 census and in the same house but a different family (denoted by 1 dash) are Emma Gore aged 25 and William Gore aged 4. Even if it is next door it seems they are probably connected.

I don't know if it is any help.

Lin
                      Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Hi Lin.... I did see that, by chance, myself only last night as well!! My head was so muddled at the time I didn't investigate further. Certainly does seem like there is a connection but will have to look further into this one now my head is a bit clearer and I have more time.

Thanks for looking anyway. Lesley

Comment

Just had a look on 1841 census and in the same house but a different family (denoted by 1 dash) are Emma Gore aged 25 and William Gore aged 4. Even if it is next door it seems they are probably connected.
                          The above are in Alverstoke district 3. In Alverstoke district 4 there is a John Gore aged 55. Pity they didn't ask for marital status in 1841 :(

Comment

Have you checked the HGS site - I thought they had producd a marriage index for this period? Though I suspect that they lived together without bothering to tie the knot. It woul not have been uncommon in the Portsmouth area.
                            Phoenix - with charred feathers
                            Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Merry, I didn't see that John Gore in District 4 Alverstoke. Will check that one out.
                              Thanks for that.

Phoenix.
                              Haven't checked the HGS site either! I think that will be 'job for this evening', or I will not get any of that H.........K done or dogs taken out!!
                              Thanks again to you both.

Lesley

Comment

Phoenix.

Forgot to say that John Gore was a Mariner on his daughter Mary Ann baptism record. Says it all really, I suppose, like you said 'very common in the Pompey area!

Lesley

Comment

Working...
                                X