What is Tarnsco?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is Tarnsco?

I have just come across a baptism on Ancestry.

Rufford,Lancashire,
    30/10/1808 Margaret Twist,Tarnsco,d.John Twist by h.w.d.Robert Rimmer.29/10/1808
    What is Tarnsco?
    Fran

This looks like a place or address.
    There is a place called Tarlscough just outside Rufford and perhaps this is it.

Comment

Hi fran-- i Googled the word and it could not be found ?? nor was it in the Shorter Oxford English Dictionary Sorry
      Sheila
      I think, therefore I am. Descarte

Comment

No idea Fran.....there is a baptism on Lancs OPC for a Margaret Twist daughter of John and Betty 1808, Prescot.

Comment

Baptisms for Rufford only go to 1727 on Lancs OPC so can't check that one.

Comment

Holcan,Thanks for reply.I think you might mean Burscough.Sheila,thanks,I Googled too!Thanks for that Harrys mum,will take a look.
            Will be back later to see if there any other replies.
            Fran

Comment

That baptism shows up as a submitted entry on the IGI:

MARGARET TWIST
              Christening: 30 OCT 1808 Rufford, Lancashire
              Father: JOHN TWIST
              Mother: ALICE RIMMER
              Batch Number: 7714323
              Sheet: 20
              Source Call No.: 1059187
              Form submitted by a member of the LDS Church. The form lists the submitter's name and address and may include source information. The address may be outdated. Details vary. To find the form, you must know the batch and sheet number.
              Christine
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Note - there's another submitted entry:

Margaret TWIST
                Burial: 23 NOV 1808 Burscough,North Meols Parish, , Lancashire
                Father: John TWIST
                Mother: Alice
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

In fact there's a sprinkling of Margaret TWIST records around that date on the IGI.

You may be able to compare some of the info with the info on the Lancs OPC site Lancashire OnLine Parish Clerk Project -) to make better (more reliable) sense of it, but I'm not sure that they have the critical parishes online for you yet.

Christine

Comment

Originally posted by fran View Post
                    Holcan,Thanks for reply.I think you might mean Burscough.Sheila,thanks,I Googled too!Thanks for that Harrys mum,will take a look.
                    Will be back later to see if there any other replies.
                    Fran
                    No definately mean TARLSCOUGH it is north of Burscough (Shows on OS map)

Comment

Tarlescough, Its not far from Marton Mere at Rufford.

Thats walking through the woods though. I think it is classes as Burscough.
                      Last edited by Northern Light; 12-07-08, 15:14.

]

Comment

Holcan,have found Tarlscough thanks.Never heard of it even though I only live a stones thow away!I presume that this was their residence.
                        Thanks also to Christine.The problem is that ther are so many Twists and Rimmers in that neck of the woods that it is very easy to get them muddled up.I was hoping that the John and Alice were also the parents of other Twists who were mainly baptised in North Meols between 1793 and 1805.
                        Fran

Comment

The problem is that ther are so many Twists and Rimmers in that neck of the woods that it is very easy to get them muddled up.I was hoping that the John and Alice were also the parents of other Twists who were mainly baptised in North Meols between 1793 and 1805.
                          Fran
                          Fran, let me know if you want some help with the Rimmers.
                          KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                          (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

I was hoping that the John and Alice were also the parents of other Twists who were mainly baptised in North Meols between 1793 and 1805.
                            Fran

Fran, you'll need to be careful with the ones from 1802 onwards because there is a John Twist / Alice Howard marriage listed for 8 Jun 1802 at North Meols (on Lancs OPC site).
                            KiteRunner

Comment

Thanks KiteRunner.The person I was first interested in was Richard Twist 27/10/1799.IGI extracted record,father John,mother Alice.I think(because I can't find another likely candidate), that the John born/bap 8/5/1768 North Meols is my man.They had children before the Alice Howard Marriage in 1802,and can only find one in 1788 to Alice Rimmer.I would like to find out which Alice Rimmer she is.Any help would be appreciated.
                              Fran

Comment

So, she should be Alice Rimmer, daughter of Robert Rimmer. Do you have anything to narrow down when she was born? For instance, age at death? The only ones I can see in the St Cuthbert's, North Meols Rimmer one-name extract are Alice, daughter of Robert and Dorothy of Church Town in 1763 and Alice, daughter of Robert and Catharine of South Haws in 1764, but they seem a bit too early to be your Alice?
                                KiteRunner

Comment

All I have is John and Alice in 1841 in Penwortham.Her age is given as 75 and his 70.With them is a daughter of Richard Twist.Richard is a servant at an inn in Longton.She is not on the 1851 census.I think she died J/4 1846 Preston.In 1851 John is in Tarleton aged 83,which if correct means he was born abt.1768.Given that she would appear to be younger than he, she could be one of the two you mention.
                                  Fran
                                  Last edited by fran; 13-07-08, 17:30.

Comment

Working...
                                  X