Allinsons in a black hole

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allinsons in a black hole

I've had a request for help from a GR member with a possible link to my tree.

She has marriage and death certs for James Shepherd born 1844 in Colton, Lancashire (which is "Lancashire north of the Sands"). She also has his birth cert. which shows him as the base child of Ann Shepherd.

She says he uses the names Shepherd and Allinson on his marriage and for his children's births.

On his death cert (in Australia) his father is named as Joseph Allinson (occ. Cooper), which ties up with my Joseph Allinson, see below, who was a wooden hoop maker, though there is a query on the certificate as to whether he is the father.

This is what I know about my Joseph Allinson. He married Elizabeth Lishman in Ulverston district q3 1845 (vol 25 page 179). I don't have the cert. but the forenames match the 1851 census at Egton cum Newland where they appear together (with 3 children Thomas, Agnes and Margaret for whom I have found good match births).

In 1861 Joseph is a boarder at Grasmere and Elizabeth and her youngest child Margaret are at Egton cum Newland, staying with Elizabeth's unmarried mother Agnes Lishman. I haven't been able to find any deaths or other census records. I have tried searching for All*son.

Any super-sleuths out there please?
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Surprise Uncle John i am the one that sent the query to you on GR lol

Comment

Here's the marriage for reference:

Marriages Sep 1845
      Allison Joseph Ulverston 25 179
      Frearson Jonathan Dixon Ulverstone 25 179
      Harrison Jane Ulverston 25 179
      Lamb Margaret Ulverston 25 179
      Lishman Elizabeth Ulverston 25 179

Niftynannie, do you know when James went out to Australia? Have you found him on any English censuses?

Comment

In 1841 there's an Elizabeth Lishman, FS, aged 20, in the household of a clergyman in Egton. With her is Mary Lishman, 14:

HO107; Piece 531; Book: 3; Folio: 13; Page: 8.

Egton is in the Colton district.

I haven't found a baptism for Elizabeth but there is an entry on the IGI (can't tell if it's submitted or extracted) for a Mary Lishman of the right age, parents William and Agnes (formerly Swainston if the submitted marriage entries are correct), and siblings Hannah, Agnes and Eleanor.

Agnes jr is working as a servant in another household in Colton:

Class: HO107; Piece 528; Book: 9; Folio: 14; Page: 20.

I would guess that Uncle John's Elizabeth is the sister of Mary and Agnes.
        Last edited by Mary from Italy; 11-07-08, 20:15.

Comment

Egton with Newland baptisms are online on the Lancs OPC site. It has baptisms at St. Mary's up to 1840, but no Lishmans.

Lancashire OnLine Parish Clerk Project -

Colton isn't online yet.

Comment

Ancestry Parish and Probate Records include Egton, but only show the same 4 Lishman baptisms as the IGI: Agnes 1819, Eleanor 1822, Mary 1826 and Hannah 1831, all children of William Lishman, tanner, Pennybridge, and his wife Agnes.

This doesn't really fit with the fact that Uncle John's Agnes is shown as unmarried on the 1851 and 1861 censuses.

Comment

Possible death of Agnes Lishman sr.

Deaths Sep 1862
              Lishman Agnes Ulverstone 8e 329

Comment

Originally posted by niftynannie View Post
                Surprise Uncle John i am the one that sent the query to you on GR lol
                I thought someone would own up!

Comment

Mary - thanks for looking at this puzzle. Working backwards, I latched on to that Agnes Lishman death as being the most likely. I seriously doubt that Agnes was anything but a spinster. She is shown as unmarried in 1851 and 1861 (grocer in Penny Bridge, Egton cum Newland) with a selection of rellies linking her reasonably reliably with my Lishman line.

Unfortunately the IGI is heaving with submitted Lishman records. Before I got wise to this, I imported a cousin's tree without first verifying sources.

The Elizabeth aged 20 in 1841 looks possible. By 1851 she was a dressmaker living with mummy the grocer. I can't find a matching Mary in the people I know about. The only one of approximately the right age is with her family in 1841.

Comment

Working...
                  X