Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• James Thomas Bristow soldier

In 1891 he is at New Barracks, Alverstoke, Hampshire:
    James Thomas Bristow Soldier Single age 23 Private, 1st Battalion Oxfordshire(?) Light Infantry, born Glamorgan Swansea. Can somebody please look at the image to see if you think it says Oxfordshire or if not, what does it say?
    RG12; Piece: 881; Folio 80; Page 3

And my main question - should I be able to find his military records listed somewhere on TNA website, and if so, how do I find them? I spent a while looking yesterday but no luck.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

The army records for this period should survive, but they are not online. Try typing in Bri* and WO97 with a date of 1891.

They come in large shoe boxes, in roughly alpha order.
    Phoenix - with charred feathers
    Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Oh right, thanks Phoenix. I'll put that one on the list for if I ever go to Kew!
      KiteRunner

Comment

I would agree it says Oxfordshire - if you go back to page 1 of the census returns it is much clearer.
        Elaine

Comment

Yes
          Oxfordshire Light Infantry

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Oooh, did you see this?
            1883-1900: discharge papers arranged by range of surname (WO 97)
            This series is currently undergoing digitisation. Access to certain pieces will be disrupted over the next 3 years and advance ordering of this series is not possible during this time. Please check with us that the pieces that you wish to consult are not affected before you travel.
            KiteRunner

Comment

Thanks, Elaine and Rachel. I thought that was what it said, but wanted someone to confirm it!
              KiteRunner

Comment

It is one of the more obvious series to digitise. And it will mean that all those missing on 1901 because they were at the Boer War can finally be accounted for.
                Phoenix - with charred feathers
                Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

I was going to say hooray, but remembering the Dove/Magpie fiasco, I think I will wait until it actually becomes reality!
                  ~ with love from Little Nell~
                  Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Working...
                  X