Can't open links, photos or scans!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't open links, photos or scans!

I'm having problems with my PC at the moment. I cannot open any links on posts on any forums, or any images from e.g.Google or even my own photo's and scans.

It is very frustrating. I thought it might be a virus, but I had the Norton tech team do a remote check on everything and it's not a virus... Though they did clear out 12897 MB of cr*p from my system and it's as fast as Lewis Hamilton now! But I fear that in trying to copy/download/export (?) an image I may have inadvertently altered the way images are read and opened. When I click on links or try to download a photo I just get a message that says it can't be done because the image has errors. I can't even highlight that to send to MS support.

Now trying to find MS Vista support to see if they can help... it just goes to show that you don't ALWAYS grow 'wiser with age' - in fact all I seem to manage is to make the 'proverbial' hit the fan!

Oh dear, Elba, that sounds really bad. I suppose you've already tried restarting it?
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

I'm just guessing, but the first thing that came to my mind was that the Internet security settings on your browser may be set too high - have you checked these? I usually set everything to Medium.

HTH -

Tim
      "If we're lucky, one day our names and dates will appear in our descendants' family trees."

Comment

Originally posted by Canadian Cousin View Post
        I'm just guessing, but the first thing that came to my mind was that the Internet security settings on your browser may be set too high - have you checked these? I usually set everything to Medium.

HTH -

Tim
        I've just checked those Tim and they are set at 'medium', but I've had no reason to alter them....didn't even know they were there 'til you said so!

I have a sneaking feeling that it 'might' have started when I was trying to send a scan of a document to a colleague. I just couldn't get Image Shacke to accept it as a JPG so I tried doing it as a PDF file - one page worked, but the other page just would NOT go... I'm not sure, but that is when I think I tried saving it as something else - I'm wondering if I applied that to all documents - in which case they won't open will they?

Oh how I wish my memory was better!!! :o

Comment

I am not sure that I understand your problem but it occurred to me that you may have saved your images in a different format. Years ago on an old PC I somehow managed to change everything to TIFF when using Adobe and no way could I open them. I downloaded Google Picasa and it scans your PC for all images. I deleted the contents of My Pictures and after using Picasa I was able to change all to JPG and save them again to My Pictures. I notice on my HP scanner that it always offers to save as TIFF so I need to watch for that.
          Margaret N
          DOGS HAVE OWNERS ~ CATS HAVE STAFF

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Comment

It sounds as though you may accidentally have changed the program you use to open pictures.

If you right click on one of your pictures, you get a menu with an option to open with a list of different programs - some of which may not be the right type. Under a list of progams there is a little box which you may have ticked by mistake before. You probably just need to choose the right program and then tick the box again. I don't know if Vista works very differently to earlier Windows OS, so this link might help.

How do I... Change file extension associations in Windows Vista?

or this one looks more user friendly.

mydigitallife.info is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, mydigitallife.info has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!
            Last edited by Caroline; 12-07-08, 06:11.
            Caroline
            Caroline's Family History Pages
            Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Thank you Margaret and Caroline - this looks promising. That link to the site giving instructions on how to reset default and operating systems looks good. No photos on it so I could open it - thank goodness! Looks like a good operating guide for 'dorks' and I really am one of those!!!

And the mention of TIFF reminded me that 'maybe' I did do something like that... but alas my 'forgettery' is running at high speed these days! :o

I'll check both suggestions out a little bit later - haven't had my shower or breakfast coffee yet - only came here 'cos I'm expecting an e-mail

Comment

Working...
              X