"Returned to worker "

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Returned to worker "

I have just thought that I may be able to post this as you can see from the dates both the ladies will be dead, but not me LOL can any one please decypher Miss Douch ????? it is very faint I hope that you can read it
    Sheila Brighton doc.pdf
    I think, therefore I am. Descarte

Looks like Dauchy to me...but could be Danchy. Haven't heard of either.

Comment

Discharged to 41 Hutton St, Croydon.

Sorry - the name looks like DOUCHY, but might be a badly written DOWDY?

OC

Comment

Ancestry has more Dauchys than Danchys. Most of Danchys are in NSW LOL.

Comment

I did Google Maps but there is no Hutton Street Croydon or any Street like it .I went through the Alphabet for the first letter but nothing
          sheila
          I think, therefore I am. Descarte

Comment

As a Croydonian, I don't recognise Hutton St! Though I wasn't born here and there was a lot of development in the 1960s.
            Phoenix - with charred feathers
            Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Sheila - there's a map of Croydon c1940 here -

Map of Croydon, London

There doesn't seem to be a street index so it might take some time!!
              Gillian
              User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

Okay
                I popped into the Local Studies Library this lunchtime.

There never has been a Hutton Street in Croydon, south London.

The closest fit I could find, and this is wrong on many counts is Hubert Steers Dendy who was living at 31 Notson Road in 1939/40 with someone I assume was his wife, but might have been his daughter. By the late 1950s, she was still there but he presumably was dead.

Do we know the significance of the name and address? Could they have been false, or referred to a different locality?
                Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

I think the street name looks like Stretton, Witton, Mitton, or if the T's have been crossed inaccurately, Milton or Wilton.

There's a Stretton Road in Croydon now, but no Stretton Street..........

And is it certain the lady's first name begins with a D? Looks like a P to me!!

Comment

I could make a case for Miss Pouchy! The thing is, if it were a street, it's likely to be one of the old roads in the centre of town. The more modern roads are roads, crescents etc. I can't claim to have heard of all the roads, but it didn't ring any bells with the librarian either - who read it as Hutton.

Comment

I don't think it's an H.

Comment

If you blow it up it looks like an M (with the top part of the last downstroke missing.)

Comment

Shurrup, Merry!

It might be Mutton (or Micton) Street, but the M of Miss is a fancy, curly thing. If it had been in the other hand, there would have been no problem.

Comment

Good job it isn't my writing! lol Here we are scrutinizing it after nearly 70 years

Comment

It's a good job all our messages are typed. My signature is consistent, but legible it aint. One of my cousins confessed she was really grateful I sent a round robin at Christmas, otherwise it would take her till January to decipher it!

Comment

I just thought - I think there are some street directories on Historical Directories website that include Croydon, but I don't think I'll have time to look on there just now. If somebody else has a bit of free time, though...?
                                KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                                (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

I think the surname ends ing - there's a faint dot there. It might be -ding or -ching.

Jackie
                                  Jackie

Comment

Originally posted by Night Owl View Post
                                    I think the surname ends ing - there's a faint dot there. It might be -ding or -ching.

Jackie
                                    Dowding??

Comment

The first letter of the ladies name could be a P.......the forth letter could be a d -looking at the d in Croydon.
                                      I wonder why the last letter doesn't have a loop.
                                      I might be way out, but could it be Pendry.

I think the first letter of the street name is a W
                                      Kathleen

Comment

I did (sobs!) look at the contemporary 1930s directories. And the electoral roll. Every street that looked possible didn't have that many houses in it. There are gaps between about 1939/40 and 1946, but Dendy was the only remotely similar surname I found in the directories.

Comment

Working...
                                        X