Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The winner of WDWTYA? 10th July 2008 is......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The winner of WDWTYA? 10th July 2008 is......

..........POSITIVE Pauline!

Well done Pauline........

Congratulations Pauline go get some walls down babe ;;;
    borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

well pauline hope your walls come tumling down well done brenda xxx

Comment

Well done, Pauline! Here's to success......;)

Chris

Comment

Oh my goodness I've just come back in after going out round taking some pics for the places of worship project, and been to the DCLI Museum in Bodmin to see what they knew about my grandfather who was killed in WW1. It appears I know more than them

Back to business. I've got to do a spot of baby sitting in half an hour, but I will sort some bits and pieces out for you detectives when I get back - probably 8ish this evening if that's ok.

Oh my goodness - I never win anything usually I'm a bit excited now ;)
          Pauline
          xx
          OPC Lanlivery, Lanivet & Newquay
          www.mumsiep.tribalpages.com

Comment

I'm here :D

My first question I think is probably easy if you know where to look, but I don't.

My paternal grandfather is Reginald George BENNETT, and he was killed in action at Ypres in WW1 on 4th October 1917. He is one of the thousands who has no known grave, and is commerated at Tyn-Cot Commonwealth War Grave Cemetery in Belgium.

What I want to know is if death certificates were issued in these circumstances? If they were where can I get one from, and what references do I need to order one.

Hope that is a nice easy one for starters
            Pauline
            xx

Comment

My next one involves the surname SMITH

This is what I know.

William SMITH born c1813 in Startforth, Yorkshire. I can find him from 1851 onwards as he had a daughter Christiana in 1848 born in Leeds, and she stands out like a sore thumb because of the christian name. Her mother was Jane Gordon ?

2 questions here

Can anybody find the family in 1841? I know he was a cabinet maker all his working life if that helps.

Can anybody find a marriage for him. According to census returns, wife Jane was born in Darlington, Co Durham. Their first child so far as I can tell was Eliza born in Leeds 1839.

Any takers on that?
              Pauline
              xx

Comment

1841 census for William Smith
                Class: HO107; Piece 1349; Book: 10; Civil Parish: Leeds Town; County: Yorkshire; Enumeration District: 33; Folio: 27; Page: 10; Line: 10;

Jane Smith 20
                William Smith 25 - occupation cabinet maker
                Eliza Smith 2
                John Smith 8 Mo

address Mercy Street, Leeds.
                Elaine

Comment

That was quick Elaine. Thanks for that one
                  Pauline
                  xx

Comment

I think it is going to be impossible to find a marriage between William Smith and Jane, until you know Jane´s maiden name.
                    You will need the birth certificate of one of the children first.
                    Elaine

Comment

Don't forget Jane's middle name was Gordon, Elaine!

So we need William Smith to Jane Gordon X (at least we should know it's right if we can find it! lol)

Nothing on FreeBMD. Bet they married June 1837 :(:(:(:(

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
                        Don't forget Jane's middle name was Gordon, Elaine!
                        Good thinking Merry!
                        Elaine

Comment

Bother and Darlington (her birthplace) isn't on the IGI :(

Comment

The death certificate for Reginald Bennett can be found on the overseas BMDs and ordered from the GRO in the same way as you order normal certificates, except on the first page you tick the box for an oversease cert!

This is the entry from the overseas register - it is blurry on the original but I´ll have another look to see if I can decipher it
                            Attached Files
                            Elaine

Comment

Here's the next bit to be going on with. It involves William Smith's daughter Christiana.

She married John Philip Windsor PEEL in Leeds in 1874 - Leeds 9b 674, Sept quarter.

The couple had 3 children
                              William Cecil PEEL - 1876 in Stourbridge
                              Harriet Mable PEEL - Oct 1877 in Stourbridge
                              Emma Elizabeth PEEL - 1880 in Birmingham

Christiana died in Leeds in 1895. Apart from their wedding, I can find no trace of her husband. You would think with a handle like he's got, it would be easy :( No census, no obvious birth record anywhere. Maybe he worked oversees. I just don't know. I know he existed though as I have seen love poems that he wrote to his "Christie", and they were obviously head over heels in love with each other as she responded with some poems of her own. Just where is this man?
                              Pauline
                              xx

Comment

The death record is taken from the GRO War Deaths Army Other Ranks register, (1814-1921) and I am pretty sure the reference is
                                1917 - I.55 - 231

that is a capital letter "i" in front of the 55
                                Elaine

Comment

Do you have the marriage certificate of Christiana and John Peel - if so do you have his age and occupation?
                                  Elaine

Comment

I just looked at your attachment Elaine for the death reg, and I agree with you as to what it says. Can you order that on line the same as ordinary certs for the England and Wales as it's not the same format as regards quarters etc?
                                    Pauline
                                    xx

Comment

I'm waiting for that wedding cert at the moment. I ordered it last week, so it might turn up during my week - well I can hope. As we speak, I know nothing more than his name.
                                      Pauline
                                      xx

Comment

Originally posted by POSITIVE Pauline View Post
                                        I just looked at your attachment Elaine for the death reg, and I agree with you as to what it says. Can you order that on line the same as ordinary certs for the England and Wales as it's not the same format as regards quarters etc?
                                        Yes you order from the GRO online. On the first page, where you normally tick whether you are ordering a birth, marriage or death certificate, you will see an option for an overseas certificate. Tick that - you will then find that the box to enter the reference is slightly different from the norm - so you just enter the year and reference all in the one box. (or the year box might be separate!)
                                        Elaine

Comment

Working...
                                        X