Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2 Newton graves in Beckenham Cemetery!! Our visit!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 Newton graves in Beckenham Cemetery!! Our visit!

We had a brilliant day yesterday!
    Last edited by Elizabeth Herts; 21-07-08, 12:17.
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Here is the grave of George Herbert, Emily, Percy and Rose:

Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

You can see how much of the lettering is missing now:

Elizabeth
      Research Interests:

Comment

Sounds like you had a good day.
        When we were in the UK recently we did a tour of some Dorset churches, taking photos for the POW.
        We visited one, that I knew was the burial place for OH's grandparents. Quite uncanny but as we walked into the graveyard and stopped to take some photos, I looked down to find we were right in front of the headstone of their grave.
        Quite a special moment.
        Elaine

Comment

Elaine, it's quite spooky, isn't it. OH is beginning to feel a real connection with past generations now.
          Elizabeth
          Research Interests:

Comment

My OH, who has no real interest in doing any research, got quite engrossed in taking photos of churches and wandering around the graveyards as and when necessary!
            Elaine

Comment

Searching for Edward!!

He's here somewhere!:

Elizabeth
              Research Interests:

Comment

The Eureka moment:

The inscription:

Last edited by Elizabeth Herts; 14-07-08, 21:40.
                Elizabeth
                Research Interests:

Comment

I think it is very sad to see graveyards that are so overgrown and not looked after.

One of the places we visited was Ford Park Cemetery in Plymouth. a 34 acre site dating back to 1848. My great grandmother was buried there, unfortunately in an unmarked grave.

The office staff were very helpful and explained that in 2000 the cemetery was taken over by a Trust and at that time it was virtually impossible to see any headstones as the brambles were well over 4-5 foot high thoughout. They have done a tremendous amount of work clearing things and landscaping the site, as well as restoring the Chapel.
                  Ford Park Cemetery Home
                  Elaine

Comment

Elaine, after lunch we went to Nunhead Cemetery. Now that is overgrown. There are railings up so you can't get near a lot of the graves, and anyhow there are trees and bushes so you can't even see them.

It's rather sad because we know that some of the Holditch family are buried there (George Herbert's aunt Jane Newton married John Flinn Holditch) and I am hoping that the earlier Newtons from Bankside are buried there.

However, there is a large research fee.

At Beckenham Cemetery, they gave us all the information for free.
                    Elizabeth
                    Research Interests:

Comment

I know Ford Park Cemetery make a nominal charge for information, burial details, plot numbers, site map etc. - but as I could provide them with some details, which I had from some old documents, then they didn't charge me, although I made a small donation to the Trust funds.

It was very peaceful and serene walking through the graveyard.
                      Elaine

Comment

I love the photos of making the discoveries!

We have often found ourselves delving around unter piles of ivy and brambles, but have never thought to take photos until the graves were as tidy as we could make them. I wish we had taken more "before" and during" shots now.

My children quite like looking for graves! lol (they think it's a normal pastime!!)

My son still remembers being the one to discover the grave of his 4xg-grandparents (three years ago when he was 6), whilst OH and I were still arguing about which area of the graveyard it was situated in!!

I'm glad you enjoyed your day. (Do you think your OH is converted yet?)

Comment

Merry, yes, it's such a buzz when you uncover (literally!) the grave of an ancestor. I'm pleased your son got such a thrill! My daughter (PLL on here) was in her element, braving thorns and nettles and branches!

OH isn't interested in doing the research I do on the computer, but he has been interested in some of the finds, especially as we have managed to bring his family to life. But he is interested in churches and graveyards and loves going out for the Places of Worship project. This is the second time this year that we have discovered graves of his ancestors, and he kept saying to me what a brilliant day it had been. There now has to be a family discussion as to how to look after the graves, and who is to be responsible. This isn't my domain, but between him, his uncle and his mother (91) and other family members.
                          Elizabeth
                          Research Interests:

Comment

Glad you had such a productive day, its always nice when you finally find that illusive one
                            Vikki -
                            Researching Titchmarsh and Tushingham

Comment

Thanks, Vikki!

I feel rather guilty about your French-worded will. Have you found anyone else to help read it? If we could piece together the wording better I'm sure we could work out better what it says in English.
                              Elizabeth
                              Research Interests:

Comment

Hi Elizabeth, I was so interested to read your account of searching for the gravestone. My dad's little brother (who I never knew about) died when he was a year old. He is buried in Beckenham Cemetary and my cousin went there for me as they live fairly near. They had lots of help and they found his grave (just a plot really, no headstone, no nothing!) and they took a photo of it for me which I have in my album. I lived in Sydenham and lots of my rellies came from Peckham, Penge and Beckenham! Lovely pictures, really enjoyed your thread. Kind regards
                                Val

Comment

I have lots of ancestors from Beckenham too, but hardly anyone in the cemetery there as far as I know - the whole extended family emigrated to Australia, apart from two children who died in infancy.

Comment

Val, I'm so pleased that you enjoyed this thread! I know everyone on here is interested in family history, but sometimes I wonder if I ramble on too much!

I'm glad you have a photo of the grave of your baby uncle as a memento. One of the reasons that I wrote this thread was to alert others to the cemetery and the possiblity of deceased ancestors being buried there. The staff were very helpful, and OH is now arranging for his grandfather's /great-grandparents' grave to be renovated.

Mary, OH's great-grandfather who is buried there was the youngest of 10. The eldest of the 10 had four children, but only the eldest married - but after he emigrated to Australia. I have just sent the Australian family, whom we contacted last year, an account of our findings and photos!

I can't take the credit for finding the graves - it was my daughter who made the initial contact with the cemetery and asked them if they had OH's grandfather buried there!
                                    Elizabeth
                                    Research Interests:

Comment

A postscript!

Edited for privacy
                                      Last edited by Elizabeth Herts; 21-07-08, 12:18.
                                      Elizabeth
                                      Research Interests:

Comment

Glad you managed to find them :D

I went to Manor Park Cemetery in London but was unable to find the grave of my 3x great grandparents. Apparently it didn't have a stone on it, but they told us who was either side but I still couldn't find it.

Also went to try and find the grave of my gg granny who I believe to be buried in Leyton Parish Church but that was so overgrown and I wasn't going to go rooting around in the overgrown brambles as there were all sorts of things in there. Very sad.

However, I have had a lot of luck with finding family graves so know how you feel :D

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

Working...
                                        X