Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I change Charles's DOB on my tree?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I change Charles's DOB on my tree?

Until now I thought that Charles was born roughly 1833/34. That's what all the census records I have appear to suggest.

I have just been doing a little investigation with batch numbers on IGI. Basically I picked the town, put Charles's surname in and what do you know, Charles pops up as being christened in 1829.

Obviously, he's not likely to have been christened before he was born so do you think it would be wise to change his DOB to 1829?

Off to play with batch numbers more now ..... :D

Are you sure it is the same Charles.
    Is it possible that the Charles christened in 1829 died in infancy, and another child born c1833 was also named Charles.
    Elaine

Comment

Are the parents correct on the IGI?

Also the Charles you found could have died and another one born later.

Comment

Snap....Elaine

Comment

Are there siblings for your Charles on the 1841/51 census? Are there baptisms for them? If Charles was recorded as aged 7 in 1841, then did he have older siblings who would get in the way if he was brn in 1829!
          Have you looked for another Charles on the 1841/51 who might be the 1829 child? (of course he could have died)

Comment

Hi Elaine, I guess that it is possible that there was another Charles but I have no knowledge of this.

Hi Libby, Yes, the parents appear to be correct.

Charles, I thought until now that is, had an older sister Elizabeth, bc1832. I guess if there was only one Charles then this find would now make him the eldest.

Hi Merry, I haven't found christening records for Charles's other siblings (not even Elizabeth).

I can't see another Charles on 1841/51 that would fit the bill but as you suggest, he could have died.

Comment

I've got one where they were determined to keep the family name and it was a case of third time lucky with the name.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Originally posted by JBee View Post
                I've got one where they were determined to keep the family name and it was a case of third time lucky with the name.
                I have three too, with the third one being my gt gt grandmother Elizabeth.

Sylvia
                Sylvia

Derbyshire :- Gough, Tomlinson, Fletcher, Shipley, Spencer, Calladine, Rogers, Kerry, Robotham
                Leicestershire:- Gough, Cooper, Underwood, Hearn, Inglehearn
                Staffordshire:- Robotham, Hickinbotham, Hill, Holmes

Comment

Hi Merry, I haven't found christening records for Charles's other siblings
                  That would bother me a lot if the time frame is on the IGI.

What if your family were non-conformist?

I would say it is reasonably unusual for an 11/12 year old to be listed as aged 7/8 on the census.

Why don't you just tell us who they are???!!!!

Comment

If there were 2 sons of the same name, and the first was baptised, this suggests he lived long enough to have a proper burial, so I'd have a good look for that. Its always possible that a baby wasn't baptised, but you don't usually get away without a burial ;)

do you have a date for his parents' marriage?

I know you find many exceptions, but I would normally expect the first child to be born within a year of the marriage.
                    Vicky

Comment

Hi Merry, Not finding christenings for the other siblings on IGI does bother me. I find it a little strange!

My Charles is Charles Dunn, bc1829, according to the christening record I just found, or prior to that bc1833/34 according to the census records I previously found.

He was born in Aldborough and his parents were William Dunn and Jemima Atkinson.

I have Charles's siblings as:

Elizabeth, bc 1832
                      Mary, bc1836
                      Maria, bc1838
                      Hannah, bc1841
                      William, bc1843
                      Jane, bc1846

Hi Vicky, I don't have a date for Charles's parent's marriage yet.

If I have the time I will have a further look this week to see if I can find any other information.

Comment

Originally posted by John-Nihon View Post
                        Hi Merry, Not finding christenings for the other siblings on IGI does bother me. I find it a little strange!
                        If you check the Hugh Wallis website you will see that the IGI only covers christenings for Aldborough for the periods 1720-1829.
                        Elaine

Comment

Whoops! Thanks Elaine, I missed that. :D

Comment

Given that the records you need are not on the IGI, I would think the most likely scenario is that Charles b 1829 died and your Charles is named for him. Obviously, you need the PRs to confirm this.

Comment

I'd go with Merry's take on this. If you look at the spacing of the children, I'd expect to see another one between Elizabeth & Mary (that's if you are sure he wasn't widowed and remarried in that period - not impossible). IF this is your Charles, its looking very likely that the earlier one died. Either way, I'd try to find a burial to account for the gap.
                              Vicky

Comment

Ok, Thanks Merry & Vicky. Adding another note to my ever growing list.

*Check for another Charles.

Comment

Just to say I would go with the census as its consistent. There are tons of examples of chldren being given the same name as an elder sibling who died.

My gt x 2 grandparents had 2 sons called William, born and died before the 3rd William proved more hardy and lived to adulthood.
                                  ~ with love from Little Nell~
                                  Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Will do Little Nell, thanks :D

Comment

Some of my ancestors gave their living children the same names, not worrying about waiting till the first died - so we have John A'bear and his brother John Burton A'bear and another John A'bear and his brother John Newell A'bear and John A'bear's sons John Daniel A'bear and John Burton A'bear. I am glad someone else has sorted them out.

I, too, would say search further, as the four year difference is a might too large to be a mistake in the census, although you never know, I have seen some interesting age transcriptions which don't match the imagees.

Diane
                                      Diane
                                      Sydney Australia
                                      Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Hi Diane, Handy on some occasions I would say "JOHN Dinner's ready" or "JOHN get ready for school" should get a reaction from all of them without too much effort. :D On the other hand if you want a specific John, then that might be more of a problem - LOL !!

I think I will go with the consensus and keep the census DOB until I can check if anything happened in the missing few years.

Comment

Working...
                                        X