1823 Marriage and both fathers named!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1823 Marriage and both fathers named!

When Isaac Chamberlain married Ann Moore, they were both underage (and she was heavily pregnant!) The IGI record names both fathers, presumably to demonstrate the parental consent.

I've checked other entries about the same date and it is a one off.

Thank you, to the vicar of St Matthew, Bethnal Green!
    Phoenix - with charred feathers
    Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Lucky you

Im just hoping something like that happens to me aswell.

Danny
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=528974734

Comment

Phoenix

You should have had your ancestors marrying in Lancashire in a noncon church - or even a parish church.

I would say a good 70% of my pre-1837 ancestors have fathers named on marriage records, and quite a few of them also have the mother's name and maiden name!

OC

Comment

I have to add that this is a friend's family, not my own.

OC, no wonder you could get so far back! But are you saying they had noncon marriages post 1754?? I've seen a few in Surrey, but they wouldn't have been legal.

My Norfolk lot do get maiden names recorded at burial for the women, and parents for the men. In one case, the register says apologetically, "A native of Coventry"
        Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

No, sorry, I'm garbling Phoenix! I meant that the parish register marriages often contained the information (although curiously, earlier rather than later - when the Dade's registers came in it mostly stopped).

I have also been lucky in some cases that the Banns book was deposited as a marriage register, and the banns are again more informative.

Perhaps mine were just unusually wordy vicars?

But one noncon church in the area, although not performing marriages, DID record them in their registers as having taken place, and the details practically tell you what the weather was like on the big day!

As my research started and mostly still continues, in Lancashire alone, you can see why I am always so non-plussed when people say "fathers names were not recorded before 1837 on marriage registers"

OC

Comment

"fathers names were not recorded before 1837 on marriage registers"
            lol!! I have never seen a fathers name recorded before 1837 in the Church of England PRs, never mind have one in my tree! lol But then, I don't have any Lancs relatives :(

Thank goodness for my Quaker tree, but even then, in one Meeting Book I looked at, there is only one marriage in the whole bookg that doesn't record father and mother and, yes, you guessed, it's my 5xg-grandparents marriage!! lol another brick wall :(

Comment

I love the Lancs ones I've got as well, so don't think it was just one vicar.
              I've got one who wrote the wrong name (Agnes instead of Agatha) for the mother's name on a baptism.....then goes on to correct it by writing Agnes was the grandmother and who her husband was as well.

Another has a little side bit about the mother "still looking pale from the birth" at the burial of the baby. Very sad, but interesting. These were all late 1600s to mid 1700s.

Comment

Jammy lot! I am green with envy!
                Last edited by Little Nell; 11-07-08, 16:52.
                ~ with love from Little Nell~
                Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Northumberland PRs are good as well. I have some christenings that tell you the name of the child, whether they are the 1st, 2nd, 3rd son/daughter of both parents names (including maiden name) where the parents were born and where they married and sometimes with the exact date!

:D

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

Some of the Wiltshire registers do that too, and have a column in burial registers for cause of death.

On the other hand, I've seen a noncon register in Northants which said something like:

23 Feb 1836 Elizabeth Smith born.:(:(

Comment

Working...
                    X