Supposed Ann Ayre

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supposed Ann Ayre

I know that my 5x great grandmother was Ann Ayre and that she married Thomas Stinson in Coleorton in 1808.

I have seen her grave and have her on the census and I also have her death certificate.

It all points to her being born c1780 / 1781.

I found her christening 28 Dec 1780 in Coleorton, daughter of John and Elizabeth.

However, the John is buried with a lady called ANN.

I searched the baptism registers and there were different children to a couple called John and Ann, and to John and Elizabeth.

Several of the children who had the mother's name of Elizabeth have on their gravestone that they were the children of John and Ann Ayre. (two children who died young and one who lived into her 60s).

One entry said the following:

31 December 1776, Samuel Ayre son of Joh and Elizabeth Ayre. Supposed Ann.

What does this mean? I am in no doubt that Elizabeth and Ann is the same lady. The siblings wills tie them all together and it is not as if there is a physical line where on one half the children have the mother Ann and on the other the Mother Elizabeth.

I have found ANN's christening in 1750 which matches with her death in 1839, and she is buried with her husband John.

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Well other than thinking of daft things like identical twins or even conjoined twins! lol (but then there would be two baps!)......I have no idea.

So, when you say he was buried with Ann.....was it Ann in the burial record or on the gravestone, or both? What was on the death cert? (sorry, I couldn't see it)

Comment

The death cert said "Widow of John Ayre, a Farmer". Her age was given as 90 but I think she would actually have been 89 but I am not too worried about that.

It is on the gravestone and in the burial register just says her name and abode.

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

It's wierd! If her name had been Elizabeth Ann or she had assumed the name Elizabeth Ann and different bits ot written donw on different occasions, that would be fair enough.....it's this bit
        Supposed Ann.
        which is so odd.

Was she baptised/married in the same parish? Would the pedantic vicar have looked back, seen her name was Ann originally and got huffy when she said she prefered to be known as Elizabeth? Seems unlikely really..........

Comment

It seems very unlikely.

John Ayre married Catherine Storer (a widow - maiden name was Wilson) in Coleorton Parish Church in 1768. Catherine died in 1770.

John then married Catherine's sister, Ann Wilson, in 1772 in Nottingham. They married by banns in Nottingham, although at the Leicester archives there is a marriage licence for them.
          They got their licence on the 21st March 1772 but married by banns in Nottingham 20th April 1772. I have no idea why they went to Nottingham (although it was illegal then to marry your dead spouses sibling), but why then return to Coleorton?

It is the same John, as I have copies of both marriages and the signature is the same.

Ann had a sister Elizabeth though who was 11 or 12 years older than her and was around until about 1800.

Comment

I have managed to find some notes...

Thomas Ayre chr 12 April 1774 s of John and Ann Ayre

Catherine Ayre chr 17 April 1775 d of John and Ann Ayre

John Ayre chr 1 Sep 1776 s of John and Elizabeth Ayre

Samuel Ayre chr 31 Dec 1777 s of John and Elizabeth Ayre supposed Ann

Sarah Ayre (don't have details of what names for her in christening records)

Ann Ayre chr 28 Dec 1780 d of John and Elizabeth Ayre

then there is Robert Wilson Ayre

Elizabeth Ayre

Theresa Ayre

I don't have the names of the parents written down for the younger three, but Robert has Wilson as a middle name and both Theresa and Elizabeth have on their gravestone that they are the daughters of "John and Ann Ayre". Also, John chr 1776 son of John and Elizabeth - his grave says son of "john and Ann Ayre"

Ann's death was registered by Ann Jnr's daughter, so her grandaughter.

Comment

If they are anything like my Ayres they were forever changing their christian names. I had an aunt Pat who was christened Martha and an Ivy who changed her name on her marriage cert to Violet Ivy:(
              Last edited by jean; 10-07-08, 23:12.
              Jean

To forget your ancestors is to be a brook without a source, a tree without a root....

Comment

The only explanation I can think of is that for some reason Ann wanted to be known as Elizabeth, though it does seem strange if she had a sister called Elizabeth. The "son of John and Elizabeth Ayre supposed Ann" almost sounds as though he was Elizabeth's son by John, but the family were pretending that Ann was the mother, but surely he would have worded it completely differently if that was what happened! He would have mentioned Elizabeth's surname at least.
                KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Tom........don't think I can help, but I have an Elizabeth Eyre.

Don't know when she was born, but she married George Naylor 14th May 1795 in Birstall.

Someone has given me a birth of 1754, but I cannot find that anywhere.

In the newspaper report of her marriage it has "Elizabeth Eyre, daughter of a merchant of this city...." No name for parents at all.

They had two children George (1796) and Elizabeth (1797). Little George died before 1806, and father, George, died 1806.

It might eliminate one of yours, that's all.

Good Luck......there must have been a factory in Yorkshire pumping out little Eyre/Ayre children.

Comment

Working...
                  X