A.E.D on certificate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A.E.D on certificate

I have a marriage certificate ( Dorothy Scrutton and John Dowsett from my other thread!)

In column 1 (date) the year has been altered. It looks as though it was originally 1926 and has been altered to 1916 - then above it is written "1916 A.E.D"

The year in the top left hand corner has also been altered - that looks as though it has been changed from 1928 to 1916!

I just wondered what A.E.D. means - would it be someone's initials?

Actually, I know think I am asking a silly question, as the cert is a handwritten one done in 1928! - sorry! - and yet the writing of the amendement looks as though it's in a different hand to the rest of the cert.

Hope this makes sense - my scanner has broken!

Thanks
    Last edited by Muggins in Sussex; 10-07-08, 18:32.
    Joan died in July 2020.

The amendment - if it is one - should have a number, not initials.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Thanks Nell - it's odd, because the initials are not those of anyone who appears in the cert. The bottom of the cert says "I, *** (may be alive, I suppose), Clerk in Holy Orders of the Vicarage, Epping" certify etc
      Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

If the cert was issued in 1928 (but the marriage happened in 1916) then the original person officiating woudn't necessarily be filling it in. maybe the local register office can shed some light.
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

This is a bit odd. Well, more than a bit!

I have seen and heard of all kinds of amendments to certificates, but I have NEVER heard of a marriage certificate being amended to a back date.

How on earth could this happen? How could you get married in 1916 and not notice until (when?) that the Vicar had put the wrong year, wrong by TWELVE YEARS into the future, on it?

Does the marriage appear in the indexes for 1916?

Otherwise...um, sorry Muggins, I suspect a bit of jiggery pokery with the cert.

EDIT: AED= Amended Entry by Declaration, I think.

Another EDIT; Gawd, I didn't read the year properly! Sorry - makes more sense, a slip of the Vicar's pen, wrote 26 instead of 16.

OC
          Last edited by Olde Crone Holden; 10-07-08, 19:08.

Comment

Thanks OC - I guess that must be right. I think I am now looking for problems where none exist!

It still seems a bit odd to accidentally write the date so far ahead - but I guess it was just a clerical error.

The cert, by the way, was included in the bundle of their (fairly seedy!) divorce papers
            Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

If the cert was issued in 1928, is it possible that the person filling it in wasn't concentrating and put the current year on it. He/she was probably writing the current date all the time and just messed it up. When that was spotted (quite possibly when the divorce was in progress) the amendment was made.

Jackie
              Jackie

Comment

Thanks, Jackie - I think that must be the answer.

That's one mystery solved!:
                Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Working...
                X