Vista Recovery DVDs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vista Recovery DVDs

I recently purchased a laptop with Vista Home Premium and get a message at start up saying I have not created my recovery DVDs.
    I have tried to do this three times but each time it has failed.
    I insert a DVD-R, wait for the progress bar to get to the end and then it just stops and nothing happens. I wait a while in case it has something else to do but it just stays the same. There is no prompt to insert another DVD but after a while I tried this without success.
    Can anyone advise what I am doing wrong please.
    Thanks in advance.
    Lynne

Searching for Ford, Duffy, (Manchester and Ireland) Cree (Manchester, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire), Owen (Manchester), Humphreys (Manchester and Ireland), Egerton (Manchester and Cheshire), Cresswell (Manchester).

I got sick of that message and turned it off at start up, Nobody does a recovery every day surely ???? I have never done one on there maybe I'll try and see what happens.

Comment

this may sound silly but are you using the correct type of dvd. there are 2 types dvd+r and dvd-r. check the specs of the laptop to try and find out what type you need. some drives can read/write both formats of dvd

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
        Nobody does a recovery every day surely ???? I have never done one on there maybe I'll try and see what happens.
        I think the message that Granny Lynne is referring to is one that appears initially when you switch your machine on from new.
        A lot of new computers come with Vista installed as well as other software, and you do not get a Vista disc should you wish to wipe your hard disc clean and start again at any time.
        The purpose of the recovery disc is to provide a back up disc (or discs) that can be used if you need to reinstall Vista and return your machine to the same set up it had when it left the shop.
        You can normally only make one set of recovery discs for each computer.
        I have just bought a new laptop and it took four 4.7MB - DVD's to make the set of recovery discs.
        Elaine

Comment

Hi Elaine
          As you have just done it, can you advise me? Did you get any prompts to put another disc in?
          Lynne

Searching for Ford, Duffy, (Manchester and Ireland) Cree (Manchester, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire), Owen (Manchester), Humphreys (Manchester and Ireland), Egerton (Manchester and Cheshire), Cresswell (Manchester).

Comment

If I remember correctly, at the beginning it told me how many discs I would need, depending if I was using DVDs or CDs. I chose the option of using DVDs as I only needed 4 - can't remember how many CDs I would have needed but I think it was something like 15!
            It then went through a process of asking for disc one, and doing what it needed to do, and then asking for disc 2 etc etc.

I remember it took quite a while to do as I was sitting here impatiently trying to get my hands on my new computer!
            Elaine

Comment

Elaine
              I think maybe there is something wrong with mine then. It said 1/2 at the beginning which I took to mean 2 discs needed. Perhaps I'll try again when I get another reminder.
              Thanks for your input.
              Lynne

Comment

Lynne
                It is probably nothing to do with what you are doing.

My daughter had the same problem with her Vista - we tried a different pack of discs but it still wouldn't work.
                We contacted the support who said they would send out a recovery disc which they did but I think really they should have sorted out why it wouldn't create a back up disc.
                I wonder if we will be able to restore it if need be.

If I was you I would try to find out why it won't do it.
                Kathleen

Comment

I hope you do get another reminder.

I seem to remember at the beginning it said to me that you only have one chance to create recovery discs, that is you cannot create more than one set of discs from each set up.

I am wondering if something has corrupted your first attempt. I would be tempted to go back to the shop and explain what has happened - just in case you are not offered a second chance to do them.
                  Elaine

Comment

Elaine I think it can still be done without a reminder, I did mine quite a while after I bought it.
                    This is where I would find mine - programmes - 'Vaio' recovery tool (mine says Vaio) yours will probably say something else - it gives the option to create a disc or recover. If one has been created it will say it has.
                    Kathleen

Comment

You are right Kath - just checked my computer.
                      Programs / Recovery Manager / Create Recovery disc.

Hadn't noticed that before!
                      Elaine

Comment

I hope she gets it sorted - I remember when I did my daughters, we thought it was the discs that were no good. It would take the first disc but no more after that, we bought more but it still wouldn't work.
                        We used the online live support which is very good.
                        Kathleen

Comment

Originally posted by Kath nr the Crooked Spire View Post
                          Lynne
                          It is probably nothing to do with what you are doing.

My daughter had the same problem with her Vista - we tried a different pack of discs but it still wouldn't work.
                          We contacted the support who said they would send out a recovery disc which they did but I think really they should have sorted out why it wouldn't create a back up disc.
                          I wonder if we will be able to restore it if need be.

If I was you I would try to find out why it won't do it.

Kath
                          Maybe I will contact support if it doesn't work next time. Do you mean Windows Vista support or the laptop manufacturer?

Elaine
                          It gives me the option to either create the recovery disks or be reminded again and I have had a reminder every 2 days since I bought it.

I may not be able to return to this thread today 'cos I'm at work and am going straight out from work so will come back tomorrow.

Thank you both for your advice.
                          Lynne

Comment

I got that message every single day Elaine turned it off now .

Comment

Originally posted by Granny Lynne View Post
                              Kath
                              Maybe I will contact support if it doesn't work next time. Do you mean Windows Vista support or the laptop manufacturer?
                              Thank you both for your advice.
                              Lynne - it was the manufacturer helpline, she paid extra for support but if yours is new you should get support free.

If you're not happy - do as Elaine suggested and complain to the shop.
                              The pc my daughter had the problem with was a replacement for one that was faulty, she had the techinical repair man out but she finally had to complain to the shop to get satisfaction.
                              Kathleen

Comment

Working...
                              X