• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Ho, Nell!

I'm sure you have this, from NROCAT, but offer it in case you haven't:

2 Elizabeth Heigho, age not given
    8 January 1833, house of John Osborn, The George Inn, St Stephen
    Whilst alone in a room or apartment in George Yard her clothes suddenly caught fire as she sat beside the fire.
    Verdict: Accidental death
    Phoenix - with charred feathers
    Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

No, I haven't Phoenix.

Thanks. (why the clipped wings?)

I know there are Higho and variants in Norfolk and Suffolk, but my husband's lot are all in London so don't know where they came from originally.

Have noted Elizabeth (why are all the Higho women called either Elizabeth, Sarah or Mary?!

Thanks again.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

The clipped wings were from after I broke my arm. Now that I've signed off from the exercises, I'm almost flying again!

(Aren't ALL our ancestors Elizabeth, Sarah or Mary?!)
      Phoenix - with charred feathers
      Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

That's what I thought! You seemed fine when I saw you.

No, some of our ancestors are Susan or Ellen!

Comment

What about Ann/Hannah - and don't forget that Ellen is sometimes Eleanor or Helen!... or Nell!

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Indeed, plus the occasional Antonetta - though she is more elusive than anyone else!

Comment

and probably transcribed as Cintonella?

Christine
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Love it!

No, she is Anty in 1841, Anturantte in 1851 and Antenta in 1861, then Antonette in 1871 after which she vanishes off the face of the earth.

She is living with Thomas Browning (brother of my gt gt grandmother) in 1841 and has various children with no father named, giver her surname variously as Trundley, Trundler and Trundles. Some of these children die and are registered as Browning. Then she has some children who are registered as Browning (though I haven't got any certs for them), but I have been unable to find a marriage for her and Thomas.

As I say she just disappears after 1871.

Comment

I remember looking for her!

Wasn't she in East Anglia, somewhere? Cambridge?

Christine

Comment

Born Swavesey, Cambridgeshire, living Cambridge 1841-61 and then appears in Wandsworth 1871!

Comment

I had another look this afternoon, but failed to winkle her out, I'm afraid.

Christine

Comment

Christine

Thank you. I think she is very awkward. I mean, she must have remarried or emigrated or died, but I can't find any further information.

Comment

Working...
                        X