Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with death certificate please

Hi,
    I would like peoples help, advice and comments about whether I have the right death certificate.

I have the death certificate for Amelia ELMS, but am not sure if I've got the right one, as her husband's occupation is not the right one.

I will tell you what I know about them.

Marriage 1858 - Samuel Elms, aged 32, married Amelia Merchant Bush, age 33 (a widow)in the parish of Temple, Bristol. Samuel was a Moulder.

1861 census Bristol St Phillips and Jacob
    Samuel ELMES aged 34, Moulder from Hallatrow, Somerset
    Amelia ELMES, Wife, aged 35, Dress Maker, from Middlesex, London.

1871 census Bristol, St Phillip, Jacob
    9 Church Lane
    Amelia ELMS, Head, Married, age 43, Dressmaker, from Middlesex, London.
    Amelia is living by herself and no sign anywhere in England of her husband Samuel.

1881 Census, Bristol, St Paul
    9 Philadelphia Street (A shop)
    Samuel ELMS, Head, aged 54, Ironmonger, from Hallatrow, Somerset
    Amelia Elms, wife, 53, Dressmaker, from Middlesex, London

1890 - Death Certificate of Samuel Elms
    Died December 1890 at Bristol City Workhouse, Stapleton USD. He was
    down as a Moulder from Bristol.

I have Amelia's death certificate, but as I said earlier, I'm not sure its the right Amelia.

Registration district, Barton Regis
    Sub district, Westbury in the Counties of Gloucester and Bristol.
    6th July 1896

Marine Hotel, Avonmouth, Bristol U.D

Amelia Elms, age 69, widow of Samuel Elms, Garden Labourer.
    ---------------------------

It's the right age for my Amelia, as her birth was approx 1827, but her Samuel is down as a garden labourer, when he was a moulder.
    Also the location she died at is different to the area she lived in before at St Paul's in Bristol. She died in a hotel which seems a bit odd as my Samuel died in the workhouse.

Could someone look at the 1891 census for Bristol to see if they can find Amelia Elms for me and to see if there is another Amelia Elms in the area?
    (I haven't got the 1891 census details)
    The surname could be a variation of ELMS, eg - Allms, Elemes, Ellms, Helmes etc.
    Also could someone look on Ancestry BMD to see if there is the death for another Amelia from about 1881 to 1900?

Thanks,
    Jan B

PS I'm going out now, so won't be able to see this thread till late evening.

She's the right age, and her husband's name is correct.

I would look to see if he left a will. It sounds as is she has taken a room in a hotel, to save herself the problems of her own house. Samuel may have died in the workhouse, simply because that was the best place to look after him when he was sick. Have you looked at the workhouse records, to see if they provide any clues?

Did Amelia have any children? Who was the informant on the death certificate? If it wasn't close family, then the informant may not have known many details.
    Phoenix - with charred feathers
    Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Just a thought, but you don't know what she was doing at the hotel - she might have been working there, rather than a guest.

Also, I have known bigger jumps in occupations. Iron moulder to gardener doesn't sound too big a jump - he may have been ill (the workhouse event) and not fit for iron working after that, or the informant a death may not have known Amelia very well, but remembered her saying her husband used to do people's gardens!

OC

Comment

In 1891 Amelia M ELMS is living in the Marine Hotel, Shirehampton / Barton Regis
        age 63, Wid, servant, seamstress, b London
        RG12; Piece: 1990; Folio 35; Page 12

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Christine

Voila!

OC

Comment

I should mention that her name is transcribed as Amalia M ELINS!

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Many thanks to Phoenix, OC and Christine,
              You have all given me good feedback and Thanks to Christine for the 1891 census info.
              I think the census confirms that the certificate I have got is for the right Amelia.
              (They do enter some weird spellings on the census, don't they!)
              As Amelia didnt have any children, the informant was a name I didnt recognise and lived at a different address. Think Phoenix and OC are right that the informant must not have known Amelia very well, and had heard Amelia say that Samuel used to do peoples gardens.
              Phoenix - I haven't looked at Bristol workhouse records, but I emailed the RO today to enquire if the records have survived and if they have them. Am still waiting to hear back from them.

Thanks again everyone - you've solved another mystery for me!

Jan B
              Last edited by Jan B; 10-07-08, 18:23.

Comment

Working...
              X