Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where do I look now for my Norfolk family?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where do I look now for my Norfolk family?

I have been desperately searching for my Baker and Laccohee ancestors. I've been on ancestry, IGI and reg. I have found a lot of Laccohee's but I can't go back further until I can find the parents of John Laccohee. He was married in 1807 so at the earliest he was born abt 1787. Also I have Samuel A baker born about 1810 in Norwich, but cannot find any info on him so I can find his parents. Is there anywhere else I can look?

Norfolk county record office is your next step. You wont find all you need on the Internet.

Take a look here

Norfolk - Family Tree Forum

Comment

I live in Canada. There's no way I can ever get there

Comment

Debbie, Norfolk is a wonderful, wonderful county, with some of the best records you can hope to find in England..... but they haven't let the Mormons film them.

Find the nearest large family history library to you and see what is in their catalogue. Several societies have produced transcripts of all sorts of records: will indexes, bt indexes, etc etc.

Have a look at our Wiki and follow each of the Norfolk links. There is a surprising amount available these days.

Check NROCAT and see if any of the records are for sale (or available in libraries in Canada)

In the end, however, the only way to do the research pre 1837 is to visit the Record Office. This is especially true of Norfolk because it has more small parishes than anywhere else in Western Europe. Norwich, a city you can walk across in less than twenty minutes had something like fifty ancient parishes, so if you don't look at them all, you may miss the relevant entry (or discover two men with the same name born at the same time)
        Phoenix - with charred feathers
        Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

All Record Offices do a research service, but it will cost you.

Comment

Quite a lot of us go to Norfolk Records Office and also the Millennium Library in Norwich regularly. If you have specific look ups I am sure someone will be able to help.
            ~ with love from Little Nell~
            Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

This is the only Laccohee on Norfolk Transcription Archive http://www.genealogy.doun.org/transcriptions/index.php

Marriages (Parish Register)
              Place Register Year Groom Bride No. Notes

Norwich District Norwich St.Margaret
              1755 SHIMMON, John LACCOHEE, Mary
              10 gr from Norwich St Peter Mancroft
              ~ with love from Little Nell~
              Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Originally posted by Debbie View Post
                He was married in 1807 so at the earliest he was born abt 1787.

Debbie, he could well have been born long before that. And it could be that the 1807 marriage was a second marriage in which case he could have been much older than you think. If you can find his burial then it might give his age at death which would help figure out when he was born.
                KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Also there are lots of Norfolk PR entries on FreeREG:
                  FreeREG - Search UK Parish Register Indices

FreeREG has a few people called LAGUOY or LEGUOY baptised at Burnham Norton, church of St Margaret, (I used the Soundex option to find those) - including a John Laguoy baptised 11 Sep 1787. A Matthew Laguoy also baptised on the same day, and a Matthew Leguoy on 28th March 1789. Parents John and Elizabeth (nee Johnson). It says that John and Matthew are "not detailed as twins". A Benjamin in 1800 and twins Robert and Joseph in 1796 - oh, and another John in 1793. I guess that means the first John would have died young (yes, there is a burial for him), and the 1793 one would be too young to be your John. But I still wonder if these are variants of the same surname, in which case there will probably be loads of other variant spellings too.

Of course, this could be nothing to do with your family! Or as I said before, maybe the marriage in 1807 was John's second marriage, in which case he could even be the John who was the father of all those children at Burnham Norton!
                  KiteRunner

Comment

Oh, and there is a Laccohee burial on FreeREG - Mary, wife of John, buried 15 Mar 1788 at North Walsham St Nicholas, age 28, maiden name Sturgess.
                    KiteRunner

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
                      Debbie, he could well have been born long before that. And it could be that the 1807 marriage was a second marriage in which case he could have been much older than you think. If you can find his burial then it might give his age at death which would help figure out when he was born.
                      I meant to say the latest he was born. I think I found him in the 1841 census and it says he was born abt 1786. His wife Jane has her birth as 1791, but I found a Jane Gooch on igi being born in 1789. I don't know if this is the right one though.

Comment

You may be lucky on this site http://www.genealogy.doun.org/transcriptions/index.php
                        Bridget

Comment

The ages on the 1841 aren't very accurate but the age on his death cert should be more accurate.
                          KiteRunner

Comment

Try having a dig through NOAH - Norfolk Online Access to Heritage - Powered by DScovery - particularly good for wills and the like.
                            Kind regards,
                            William
                            Particular interests: The Cumming families of Edinkillie & Dallas, Moray

Comment

Working...
                            X