Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• searching for policeman about 1940-50s

hi
    im not getting very far with my dads side of the tree but he said he had an uncle who was a policeman in mountainash glamorgan wales were they lived,is there somewhere i can look as i tried googling it but got nowere.
    i put 1940-50s but could be earlier as my dads dad was born 1904 but i cant find other siblings.
    karen
    karen in the new forest.....what goes around comes around........

II's unlikely you would find anything online.

You'd need to contact the South Wales Police though I'm not sure if they'd release information which is relatively recent.
    Official website of South Wales Police - Heddlu De Cymru : Glamorgan Police Stations - A History
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Don't think you can get info this recent by googling, unless he was killed on duty or something else memorable.

I think your best bet is to email the dept that deals with archived personnel records & ask if they have any records. Bear in mind that forces have been amalgamated over the years, sometimes more than once. I'd start with the force that currently covers the area he was likely to have served.

My father & grandfather were both in the police - I wanted details of grandfather's service, which was from 1926 to 1951. He originally joined the Preston constabulary but this became part of the Lancs force. The Lancs police website used to have a link to the relevant person in their archives dept - Not sure how many forces have this facility, it looks like Lancs have taken it off their site now (& I couldn't find anything similar in Northumberland for another person I was researching)

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I emailed them & they confirmed my grandfather's dates and said they could send his records for a fee of £15. But a lot of it is subject to an 80 year closure (even for close rellies) so I haven't done it, as I don't think the "OK" bits will tell me much that I don't already know.

In those days I think the upper age limit for joining up was 30.

However, my gt grandfather & his uncle were both "colliery policemen" at some stage in their careers, and neither was an official member of a recognised police force. it seems like it was a fancy title given to someone we would now think of as more of a security guard.

(EDIT: as usual Nell beat me to it. I should try to be more concise
      Vicky

Comment

If they survive, and if they let you look at them, the records are likely to be with either the local police force or the county records office.

It is worth contacting both. I know a lot of Surrey records were deposited with the Surrey History Centre, and then taken back by the police, so there may be something similarly complicated in Glamorganshire.
        Phoenix - with charred feathers
        Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

wow thanks for all your replies,il try pontypridd record office first then.
          and will try emailing police in that area you never now.
          many thanks karen;)
          karen in the new forest.....what goes around comes around........

Comment

Working...
          X