Search advice for early 1900's please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Search advice for early 1900's please

Looking for my Grandmother, Mabel Webb born c1896.

She married my Grandfather Wilfred Albert Bristow 18 May 1918 at Dursley Tabernacle Church in Gloucester. Mabel's occupation was a munitions worker. Her father (on the wedding cert) was Henry Webb a Carter

My Grandfather was born in High Wycombe but was sent to Dursley during WW1 to help guard PoW's in a prison there.

Soon after the war they both returned to High Wycombe where they had 3 daughters, my mother being the youngest born 1922.

Mabel died 26 May 1923 at Henley Sanatorium.

No other information is known. I have contacted Listers (the firm in which she was probably employed in 1918) to see if they hold records going that far back. Still waiting for an answer.

There are a few Mabel Webb's on the 1901 census of about the right age but none with a father by the name of Henry

Will be going to Glos RO this weekend - where else would be a good start to look for her? I don't even know for certain if she was born in Glos.

Trish,

do the witness's on marriage of g/parents glean any info?

I found this but wasnt sure if she is the "right" one.

- Ancestry.co.uk

or if you prefer the old fashioned way of looking here is a ref : 1901:

Class: RG13; Piece: 2412; Folio: 22; Page: 4.
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Trish

I don't know how many munitions factories there were in Dursley but Googling I found a few references to R A Lister & Co who apparently made and filled shell cases in WW1 and used female workers.

There are some records at Gloucester according to TNA - I don't know if they have anything of interest to you but it might be worth a look.

The National Archives | Access to Archives

Have you looked at the Dursley Tabernacle records? They are also at Gloucester

The National Archives | National Register of Archives | Corporate details | Archive Details

Jackie
      Jackie

Comment

Thanks Julie, yes I've come across that one just last night - ***freaky!!!!***

It could be, even though the age would be out by about 3 years from what she states on marriage cert.

***Freaky**** because I was born and bred in High Wycombe not moving over this way until I was in my 20's. Only recently started looking for Mabel, discovered she was working in the town where I always bought my fresh meat from - then came across this Thornbury one - guess where I used to live for a few years!!!

Comment

Thanks for that Jackie, hadn't found the Tabernacle stuff - off for a look

Comment

Do you know who the marriage witnesses are, Trish?

Comment

ooooohhhh Trish!!!

maybe an imprint of years gone by still lurks then?

as for her wedding cert, well I wouldnt read her age on that to be gospel, some women did tell fibs

My granddad did, turn out he was 12 YEARS older than her... (My gran) but often made me wonder why they felt they had to lie on the census..
              Julie

Comment

Julie, yes I've come across some shopping fibs before:D - make that whopping not shopping!!!

Merry - the witnesses were Norman Holt and Mabel Kate Gough
                Last edited by Trish@Somerset; 10-07-08, 14:05.

Comment

OK, I've got all the reference numbers noted - look out Glos, here I come.

Many thanks for the bits I missed

Comment

not sure if it IS anything or not, BUT

Henry C Webb
                    B. abt 1861
                    D. Sep 1925 - Thornbury, Avon, Gloucestershire
                    Julie

Comment

Why does he say he's single on his army record when he was discharged in 1919?? lol

(Sorry, off topic!)

Comment

I suspect that the only sure way to do this would be to use directories/birth certs for the children to be absolutely sure of the address in 1921 and then apply for the census record for that address. This would be expensive, but it would give you a birthplace to start looking.

I don't know that factory girls moved round the country in the same way that girls in service did, but if her father was a carter, he at least would be used to travel!
                        Phoenix - with charred feathers
                        Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Merry, I think my Grandfather was a bit of a fibber - the father is stated as a Colour Sergeant on the marriage cert and I discovered he was an ordinary Private at that time:D:D

Phoenix, thanks, might have to start spending real money as you say:(:D

Comment

I've just looked at the Census for Thornbury again and noted the name of the street where they live - Lower Bath Road - I would have walked past this road almost every day, never went down there though as it didn't lead to anywhere (backs of new housing) and was just a dirt track. If this proves to be my family I really am going to freak out considering my mother never knew anything about her birth mother and I'd certainly not even heard of Thornbury until I was in my 20's!

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                              not sure if it IS anything or not, BUT

Henry C Webb
                              B. abt 1861
                              D. Sep 1925 - Thornbury, Avon, Gloucestershire

make a note of this Trish!! see if you can find any info
                              Julie

Comment

Have done Julie - and all the other bits that you've all put on here - thanks all.

Comment

Working...
                                X