i'm utterly confused

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i'm utterly confused

I sent away for the marriage certificate for my 2xgreat grandmother Charlotte Gertrude harrison who married Samuel Baker in 1872, so I could get who father was. It says Thomas Harrison deceased, but then I found who I think is him in the 1881 census. On the certificate it says he was a captain in merchant service, but in the censuses it says he's a fisherman. I know he was born about 1831 in Cromer Norfolk. Help!

hi debbie good afternoon...whoever did the census could have put fisherman doesnt mean he wasnt a captian,try googling merchant sea captians and put the date see what comes up brenda xxx

Comment

Debbie, if it says he was deceased in 1872 then he shouldn't be on the 1881 census, so it's more likely to be a different person.
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Do you have a year and place of birth for Charlotte.
        Have you found her on a census pre-marriage, if so which ones.
        Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
          Debbie, if it says he was deceased in 1872 then he shouldn't be on the 1881 census, so it's more likely to be a different person.
          Not always

My great grandmother married for the third time in 1900 and her father is down as deceased. I bought loads of wrong death certs for him until I found him on the 1901 census living with his son.

He died in 1907.

Comment

Charlotte harrison was born abt 1852 in Cromer Norfolk. I have her in the 1861 census and 1871 when she was a domestic servant. Her mother's name was Ann

Comment

Originally posted by Debbie View Post
              It says Thomas Harrison deceased, but then I found who I think is him in the 1881 census.
              What are the details of the 1881 census that you found?
              Elaine

Comment

There is a Charlotte in 1861 born abt 1851 with parents Thomas and Ann living in Cromer.

RG9; Piece: 1202; Folio: 102; Page: 14
                Fiona. xx

Comment

yes that's her and in 1871 she's a domestic servant. Thomas is in both the 1881 and 1891 census married to different women, but I think it's him. I also cannot find a death for him

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                    What are the details of the 1881 census that you found?
                    Thomas is married to an Elizabeth, and he's a fisherman and his sons are still at home. Alfred, Arthur, and Walter

Comment

Yes, he's still with Ann in 1871 and then in 1881 his wife is Elizabeth.

Are the witnesses names on the marriage certificate and help?
                      Fiona. xx

Comment

Just for information to save having to keep checking back to ancestry

Thomas Harrison 43 b Cromer
                        Ann Harrison 36 born Baconsthorpe
                        Walter Harrison 10
                        Alfred Harrison 6
                        Arthur Harrison 4
                        Winifred Harrison 3 months
                        all children born Cromer

Address Chapel Street, Cromer
                        RG10; Piece: 1798; Folio: 97; Page: 14
                        Elaine

Comment

Thomas Harrison 54 - fisherman
                          Elizabeth Harrison 65 - born Edgefield, Norfolk
                          Walter Harrison 20
                          Alfred Harrison 15
                          Arthur Harrison 14
                          Elizabeth Harrison 10

address Pump Street Cromer
                          RG11; Piece: 1924; Folio: 108; Page: 37
                          Elaine

Comment

There's a Likely death for Ann in 1874 aged 42 and then a marriage in 1877 for Thomas to an Elizabeth Risburgh.

It looks like Charlotte might have not been quite 21 when she married, if her father didn't approve maybe she claimed both her parents were dead so she wouldn't need a letter of parental consent.
                            Fiona. xx

Comment

which seems to be same father and children as the 1861

Thomas Harrison 30
                              Ann Harrison 26
                              Charlott Harrison 9
                              Walter Harrison 1

- so it looks as if Ann died sometime between 1871 and 1881 and Thomas remarried.

Will have a look to see if I can see anything .... I see Fiona has already found possible death and remarriage.
                              Elaine

Comment

so does this mean elizabeth was born between 1871 and would she be ann,s or elizabeth could ann have died in childbirth?brenda xxx

you beat me to it eliane xxx

Comment

That looks like a probable marriage as there is an Elizabeth Riseborough born 1815 Edgefield on the 1871 census.

RG10; Piece: 1804; Folio: 27; Page: 2;
                                  Elaine

Comment

and it looks as if Thomas may have remarried again.

1891 census
                                    Thomas Harrison born c1829 Cromer Norfolk, occ fisherman
                                    Rebecca Harrison (wife) born c 1844 Roughton Norfolk.

Possible marriage from freeBMD
                                    Thomas Harrison
                                    Rebecca Lawrence
                                    Erpingham
                                    Volume 4b
                                    Page 121
                                    Elaine

Comment

Thanks so very much. I just found the same info. I have Thomas being married 4 times. I found him in the 1851 census married to a Phinetta , but I found his marriage to Ann (Roberts) in 1851. This man did not like to be alone. I have his marriage to Elizabeth Risburgh in Jan-Mar 1877 and to Rebecca Lawrence in Jul-Sep 1889.

Comment

Originally posted by fiona c View Post
                                        There's a Likely death for Ann in 1874 aged 42 and then a marriage in 1877 for Thomas to an Elizabeth Risburgh.

It looks like Charlotte might have not been quite 21 when she married, if her father didn't approve maybe she claimed both her parents were dead so she wouldn't need a letter of parental consent.
                                        Thanks Fiona, that sounds as good as a reason as I've ever heard. I will go with that. They were married in the register office by certificate if that means anything

Comment

Working...
                                        X