FreeBMD check please..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FreeBMD check please..

I ordered a marr cert, 1stq 1850 vol 21 page 80 Bolton for a Ralph Winward.
    I expected the spouse to be a Martha Partington but its a Mary Johnson. I didnt ask for any ref checks.
    I ordered the cert on a whim as in the 1861 RG9; Piece: 2811 Folio 90;Page 15 theres a Ralph Winnard and a Martha with a BIL Thomas Leigh. I traced Martha back and she had been married before but looked like her birth name was Leigh.

I have just noticed in FreeBMD that there are 2 entries in 1850 for a Ralph Winward, page 80 with no scan and page 81 with a scan.

Could this be the same Ralph? and have they sent the wrong cert or am I totally on the wrong track.! I hope you can understant that.

]

Light, as they are both in the same quarter then you can easily check it for yourself by clicking to view the scan and seeing how many times it says Ralph Winward on the actual index image. I would do it but it says it's going to take ages to load the page for me (on dialup).
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

But anyway, it doesn't look hopeful because there are 9 names listed for page 80 and all of them have been double-keyed to confirm except for Ralph, so it looks as though the 80 was a mistake.
      KiteRunner

Comment

By the way, this is just going to annoy you, but if you'd looked on Lancashire BMD before ordering, you would have seen the Ralph Winward / Mary Johnson marriage listed on there.
        KiteRunner

Comment

And sorry for the multiple posts, but Lancashire BMD shows that Martha Partington married Thomas Knight (also listed on FreeBMD for page 80).
          KiteRunner

Comment

Light, is it Ralph Winward you are trying to trace back.
            He is on the 1851 census (mistranscribed as Wumard) with wife Maria (possibly the same as Martha in 1861) and children aged 2, 3 and 5 which might indicate that he was married circa 1845'ish.
            Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
              But anyway, it doesn't look hopeful because there are 9 names listed for page 80 and all of them have been double-keyed to confirm except for Ralph, so it looks as though the 80 was a mistake.
              It does Kite! The one with no scan is also page 81..Thanks for that

]

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                Light, is it Ralph Winward you are trying to trace back.
                He is on the 1851 census (mistranscribed as Wumard) with wife Maria (possibly the same as Martha in 1861) and children aged 2, 3 and 5 which might indicate that he was married circa 1845'ish.
                Thanks Elaine, I was trying to prove if his father was Ralph. Its not looking good lol..

]

Comment

Sorry - if whose father was Ralph?
                  Elaine

Comment

Elaine, I have a William Winnard 1801 Aspull married 1824 in Wigan. On the IGI it says parents of William are Ralph Winward and Mary but I cant prove it.
                    I have no siblings for William so when I saw the marriage for a Ralph Winward I was hoping that Ralphs dad was a Ralph making William and young Ralph brothers.

Im not making this easy am I

]

Comment

Am a bit confused - easily done! :o
                      if you were trying to find the marriage of the Ralph Winward and Martha/Maria (1851 & 1861 census) then I would have thought this one was a better match, bearing in mind the ages of the children on the 1851 census. Interestingly there is also a Wareing family living next door to them in 1851.

Marriages Sep 1843
                      WAREING Maria
                      WINNARD Ralph
                      Wigan 21 513

But from what you say, you are not sure that Ralph is even related?
                      Elaine

Comment

Looks likely that the Ralph that married Marie Wareing might be the son of a John Winnard

HO107; Piece 523; Book: 11; Folio: 31; Page: 6

1841 Ralph is a Cordwainer, 1851 Shoemaker. Possibly the same man.
                        Last edited by fiona c; 09-07-08, 15:25.
                        Fiona. xx

Comment

Thats right Elaine I dont know if Ralph and William are related it was just a hunch.
                          My William Winward married Isabella Leigh so when I saw the 1861c RG9; Piece: 2811; Folio: 90; Page: 15 with a Thomas leigh BIL, I hoped they were all related..Complicated I know as I explain badly

]

Comment

Originally posted by fiona c View Post
                            Looks likely that the Ralph that married Marie Wareing might be the son of a John Winnard

HO107; Piece 523; Book: 11; Folio: 31; Page: 6

1841 Ralph is a Cordwainer, 1851 Shoemaker. Possibly the same man.
                            Thanks Fiona, It gets confusing as some are Winwards and others Winnards, up to now mine are all working in the Wigan cotton mills..

]

Comment

It was the Leigh connection I didn't understand!
                              Elaine

Comment

Its my fault Elaine lol..I must take some lessons in explanations..:D

]

Comment

Are you sure your William was born Aspull and not Westhoughton - not sure how far apart they are!

Possible family from the IGI - parents Ralph and Mary

WM. WINWARD - International Genealogical Index
                                  Christening: 27 SEP 1801 Westhoughton, Lancashire, England
                                  ALICE WINWARD - International Genealogical Index
                                  Christening: 10 MAY 1795 Westhoughton, Lancashire, England
                                  RALPH WINWARD - International Genealogical Index
                                  Christening: 12 JAN 1800 Westhoughton, Lancashire, England
                                  RALPH WINNARD - International Genealogical Index
                                  Christening: 26 FEB 1804 Westhoughton, Lancashire, England
                                  ANN WINWARD - International Genealogical Index
                                  Christening: 05 MAR 1786 Westhoughton, Lancashire, England
                                  JOHN WINWARD - International Genealogical Index
                                  Christening: 29 SEP 1793 Westhoughton, Lancashire, England

Am still confused - so you might have these already! :D
                                  Elaine

Comment

*Am still confused - so you might have these already!"

Lol Elaine Im always confused lately!

I only have William and Isabella on the 1841 census! So I suppose he could have been born anywhere. Its him who died in 1844 of the yellows lol..

Westhoughton isnt that far from Aspull but I still dont know!

Thanks everyone it will all turn out in the wash..kitchen calls
                                    Last edited by Northern Light; 09-07-08, 15:55.

]

Comment

There is someone on Ancestry that has William Winnard born 1801 Westhougton on their private tree.
                                      Might be worth contacting - presuming it's not you!
                                      Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine, I have contacted the tree owner before but no reply.

I might try again lol..

]

Comment

Working...
                                        X